Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: [Woodturning] Face plate

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools

[Woodturning] Face plate

Hi,
    I recently got the opportunity to purchase for a good price a batch of M33x3.5 nuts, which happen to be the thread of most of the European lathe spindles.
    There is a lot of possibilities with these nuts, here are a couple of examples :

First example is a face plate.

The nut is welded to a steel plate, then mounted on the metal lathe and the plate is then trued up.
    The holes are drilled afterwards.

Before welding, I had trued the face of the nut on the lathe (I have an M33 spindle that can be mounted on my metal lathe chuck)

And here we go:

Here, as I haven't got any 33mm spanner to unlock the nut after the turning (and dit not make one yet), I use this rubber band tool which appears to be very powerful.

I have often some difficulties to source plates of metal. Here is an idea ... (this is not what I used for the above example).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 29, 2016), kbalch (Mar 29, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 29, 2016), PJs (Mar 29, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Christophe,
    I like your metal and parts sourcing ideas. When I was kid, my mom would give me her old pots, pans and even clothes irons just for cutting up the metal to make tool parts. I think today the source would be garage sales. BTW - That is a nice looking wood lathe. Thanks for sharing,
    Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Mar 29, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Christophe Mineau! We've added your Lathe Face Plate to our Wood Lathes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Christophe Mineau's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    That's a great idea to get metal! I wonder if cast iron would work for a faceplate, or if it would be too soft. It comes pretty thick anyway. I imagine that aluminum would also be common in a lot of cookware, which is weaker than steel so I imagine best to go a little thicker with that material.

You got me thinking! Really what a great idea to get thicker metal, which can be expensive. I did the same thing, but used 2" or 3" steel washers. I had to keep them small because any bigger than that and it gets very expensive very fast. I suppose because the area of a circle increases much faster than the diameter so there's a lot of difference in amount of steel in 3" vs" 6" washers. That's why it usually pays to buy a large pizza, not a small or medium!

Bigger than 3", I would have to order stock from a supplier. But maybe not any more, thanks for the tip.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information