Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: [Leather working] Edge burnisher : the small mecanical one

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 479 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools

[Leather working] Edge burnisher : the small mecanical one

I wrote an article on my web site presenting three kinds of edge burnishers for lather working.
    La Belle Note - Edge burnishers

Here is the second one, a small spindle to be used on a Dremel like high speed tool :

(you see the chuck ? )

This burnisher has a 3.2 mm shaft that mounts into a Dremel-type high-speed spinning tool chuck.
    This tool is well adapted to small parts, when the contour has curvatures with tight radius.
    Dremel type tools are limited torque tools, so we can not push very hard on the work. The tool can, however, be used with a flexible shaft connected to a drill press or lathe for example.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Clockguy (Jan 17, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 17, 2019), PJs (Jan 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for the instructionals Christophe, and I would add that, when using this method with any high speed Dremel type tool, it is wise to not place very much pressure on the edge of the leather when burnishing that edge. With even, light pressure, you can properly burnish the edge in very little time. Trying to rush the job will only cause problems which may be irreversible such as burning the edge instead of burnishing it. When you think about the way we have burnished leather in the past, it was mostly hand burnishing using similar tools such as is illustrated in your instructionals. You can generate enough frictional heat to give the proper finish to the leather edges with most any type of lubricant from plain water, used to case the leather, to saddle soap to many commercial brands of burnishing liquids and pastes. But a can of saddle soap will last for many years and also help to seal and nourish the edges of the leather as it is worn or used for its intended purpose. My personal favorite is a Chinese product called "Tokonole" which imparts a very high gloss on the edge of the leather along with sealing the edges from fibers "popping" up at a later date and making the leather product look "rough" along the edges. And less is better in this case so a 120 gm., a little over 4 oz., bottle will last for years if used sparingly.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clockguy For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Jan 17, 2019)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 479 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Thanks a lot Cloguy for your message and all these fine advises !
    I already used water in the past with my initial hand rubbing technique, but I found that in the short term, it could give something satisfying, but after a while, the edge felt not really sealed. That's why I prefer nowadays to use gum arabic, but I will look if I can find your Tokonole product here in Europe.
    Thanks again for the tip.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 18, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Christophe Mineau! We've added your Edge Burnisher to our Leathercraft category,
    as well as to your builder page: Christophe Mineau's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information