Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1/32 model train car mold procedure

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Half of the front skirt and all of the cab mold completed, Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0546.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 29, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    A mock-up for fitting some more parts. Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0547.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 29, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Thanks Paul. 1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0550.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0552.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0553.jpgHere are some pictures of the completed cab part from the mold. *I will also have to make a pattern for the straight type pilot. Note the amount of flashing, minimal, it just fell off and that's good, shows that the mold parts are fitting tightly. Bob.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 30, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Bob,

The EMD E and F locomotive castings are looking very good. I know it takes a lot of work but a great opportunity where you can have a hobby and business that is fun. Thank you for showing your progress.

Regards, Paul

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I wanted to share this with you. Back in the days when I didn't have any machines, such as, a lathe, a mill, a cnc router, or a 3D printer, which I still don't have, I made patterns out of wood with just a hand held router and a band saw. While this 1945 Pullman observation is not perfect, in my estimation, it still looks good. The fluting was made with a bullnose 1/8th inch router bit, spacing with different thickness plastic spacers on a jig that I made. The roof shape was made with 1 inch sections of wood. After the patterns of the sides and roof were made, an epoxy mold was made. I made the mold long enough for the round end and a straight roof, which I still use today. My point is, one can still make models without all of the fancy machines. Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0554.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0556.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0555.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0557.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 1, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Some bubbles occurred in the last pour of the cab, so I added some some relief channels to the upper most part of the mold where the bubbles occurred, so I hope this cures the problem, I will know later on today, and also I have been taping paper, with vinyl caulking, since the tape won't stick to the waxed wood, to make the cleaning of the molds easier, works good. Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0558.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0560.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 1, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I couldn't wait, so I pulled the parts out of the molds, the chassis and the roof came out perfectly, but still having some small bubble problems in the cab. *None of the bubbles are bad enough that they can't be repaired, but I would like a bubble free part, here are some pictures. Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0561.jpg1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0562.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 1, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Thanks Paul. I am sure that some of you have done this before, but I haven't, so I did. I had to get my trains off of the floor, so I cut a piece of plywood, 4x8, into 8 lengths and grooved them for track, saved about 300.00. The eight pieces gave me 64 feet of shelving. Bob.1/32 model train car mold procedure-img_0563.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 4, 2016)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Thanks Paul. Just an update. Poured another 15 lbs. of urethane today for another heavyweight side, some parts for the truck, pilot for the cab,**and*reduced a*three part piece for the truck to one piece, starting the mold today. I keep forgetting to tell you this. *I don't know how many of you are using urethane, but if you do, this procedure was recommended to*me by the seller. *Part A, that is the hardener, to keep water vapor in the air isolated from the urethane, after opening, a shot of nitrogen should be shot into the bottle to preserve the hardener and to give it more shelf life. I found out the hard way, without that shot of Nitrogen, the hardener will gel much faster. *The part B doesn't need this step. When they ship it, a shot of Nitrogen is already in the bottle, but once opened, you have to do it again. *The Nitrogen is heavier than air, so it isolates the urethane from unwanted moisture in the air. *Urethane, in contact with air, causes the moisture to get into the urethane and causes air bubles in the urethane, just something that I had to find out the hard way.*Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Bob,

Good advice for using nitrogen to slow down the aging.

Thanks for the updates, Paul

Thread Information