Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    Glad to be of help guys.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Y-geo; Aug 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
    S & F
    Y-Geo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Y-geo For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 27, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Dam over a hour of video, could I just see a picture or two of the finished product.

Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    Ralph,
    do like me cheat go to the last 2-3 mins of the video to see the finished product (usually in action ) to see if it is in FACT what you want then use the vid as a learning how to make the "thingy ".

Last century an old university lecturer told me ,in answer to my question :- what's the best book on "blah" ? and his reply was very enlightening go the library get a book on "blah", rest the spine on the palm of your hand, where it falls open read those two pages ! If you understand what is written there that book is "a good book for you about Blah"

in this century i apply that to videos on what ever i am studying up ...........................................

HTH
    S & F
    Y-Geo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y-geo For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 27, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Aug 20, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Y-geo View Post
    Ralph,
    do like me cheat go to the last 2-3 mins of the video to see the finished product (usually in action ) to see if it is in FACT what you want then use the vid as a learning how to make the "thingy ".

Last century an old university lecturer told me ,in answer to my question :- what's the best book on "blah" ? and his reply was very enlightening go the library get a book on "blah", rest the spine on the palm of your hand, where it falls open read those two pages ! If you understand what is written there that book is "a good book for you about Blah"

in this century i apply that to videos on what ever i am studying up ...........................................

HTH
    Exactly and if you do not get a good understanding try letting it fall open again a couple of times if after 6 or 8 pages you a working synopsis of the subject matter the book is not worth reading in the first place.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 27, 2017), Y-geo (Aug 16, 2017)

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Exactly and if you do not get a good understanding try letting it fall open again a couple of times if after 6 or 8 pages you a working synopsis of the subject matter the book is not worth reading in the first place.
    Been kind of busy this week working on the mini Lathe controller box. I hated the side mounted speed control the fact it had NO tacho and you could wreck the gear box with a clumsy move of a single switch.

The power cable was permanent wire in so used a kettle lead skt with built fuse holder, the knock /lock out I kept the speed controller is on top the box now contains a 12 volt supply for cooling fans and the Tacho which only run when the chuck runs. forward / reverse can only be activate with both toggle switched in synch. cost total about 30 ukp plus my time.12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-forward_reverse_interlock-b4.jpg12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-lathe-tacho-working.jpg
    S & F
    Y-Geo

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y-geo For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 27, 2017), Seedtick (Aug 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    much better with 2 switches
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    yes the double switch stops the accidental stripping of the gear box

This is the new control box (the original had the speed control on the side and NO Tacho )
    12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-new-control-box-layout.jpg
    the power is thro a computer "kettle " lead, retained the original lockout/emergency switch,speed control & on/off now on top for easier setting, inlet fan for electronics cooling, double switch as discussed, Tacho read out (the flying lead is the sensor ) and an exhaust fan in the base for air movement.

12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-lives.jpg

What you do not see is a PCB from a "wall wart " inside the box that is 240V from lockout switch to supply 12V to the Tacho & two fans quite a lot for a box that is only 221mm x 150mm x 60mm. the down side is i had to remove 20mm from the gear box cover edge closest to the controls.

Made a start on the tail stock DRO set up
    12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-tailstock-dro%3Dclamp%3Dstart.jpg

and replaced the original clamp foot again (wider than original and alloy for more bite )
    12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-tailstock-new-foot.jpg
    replaced the locking clamp nut with a hex studding connector (shortened by 10 mm ) with tapped holes for the handle on alternate faces

also took off the saddle gears for cleaning
    12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-2017-08-10-17.09.10.jpg
    and added a swarf barrier made of perspex to keep the crud out

when i got tired of working on the lathe i modified my drill press and fitted a tacho since the RPM is about 50 -300 revs out in reality depending on what pulley pair is in use

12” x 37” Lathe Tailstock Clamp Improvement-drill-press-tacho-test.jpg

the sensor now holds the read out box and again a wall wart PCB supply wired to the motor cct so it only on when quill is spinning. nice and neat on the top of the pulley guard

enough for now, time to get out and shoot
    S & F
    Y-Geo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y-geo For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 27, 2017), Seedtick (Aug 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Y-Geo,

The double switches are a very good improvement.

Hopefully, Jon will post this as a separate addition to your builders page.

What type of tachometer technology did you use (Optical, Hall Effect, etc)?

Paul Jones

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Y-geo (Aug 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Ralph,

I play most of the YouTube videos at the 1.5X or 2X speed options (see the YouTube gear symbol for the options). I don't need to see the machining in real time. I also sometimes skip to the end first to see the final results in order to provide better context to the earlier sections of the videos.

Paul Jones

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    Paul,

There is now a magnet glued to the top pulley of the quill stack on the drill and in the castle ring nut groove in the headstock shaft on the lathe, the sensor is a 12mm diam X 40mm long that houses a reed valve i believe, that pulse is counted by a tiny pcb behind the read out Led screen. I have now three i bought from 2 vendors (all chinese) the problem is one came with Kanji instructions so i went to our chinese take away to get it translated.Technical chinese characters are not well known by the average chinese but at least they could read the colour code and i worked it back from that.

Word of warning IF THE POLARITY of the magnet is wrong IT WILL NOT WORK , do not ask how i know lolz
    What's this build page that i have seemed to have missed that bit :-)
    Last edited by Y-geo; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
    S & F
    Y-Geo

Thread Information