Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 12-20kW PTO-driven 3 point generator for tractor

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I'm probaly way out of touch anyway. I mentioned regulation as I used to work in a feul shop and gensets were very tricky to set up sometimes to always be within tolerance. Particulary if they were to be shipped out and only specific parts used in the pumps. I got caught with one that nearly sent me and few others crazy due to a wrong colour coded batch of springs, company took a big loss on that one. I see a lot of the new PTO sets are hydraulicly driven which is a good idea as speed control is much easier plus modern electronic regulation of output. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    I'm probaly way out of touch anyway. I mentioned regulation as I used to work in a feul shop and gensets were very tricky to set up sometimes to always be within tolerance. Particulary if they were to be shipped out and only specific parts used in the pumps. I got caught with one that nearly sent me and few others crazy due to a wrong colour coded batch of springs, company took a big loss on that one. I see a lot of the new PTO sets are hydraulicly driven which is a good idea as speed control is much easier plus modern electronic regulation of output. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    I hope I didn't come across as ungrateful for your input. I just wanted to clarify my purpose and that when it comes to the loads it will see, they could be just about anything. I am always happy to receive ideas and information, particularly from those that "do" things or have done things that I am trying to achieve. By the way, what IS that machine you spoke of? It must have a HUGE moving mass to make that kind of current draw at startup... could you add a clutch mechanism to ease the load on the motor at startup?

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rancher For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Rancher I believe what NortonDommi was talking about was the fuel injection pump of the diesel engine on a genset having a problem with springs that were color coded wrong for the specs causing issues with getting the engine to stabilize and match the power output curve for the load requirements. A quite common problem with the older mechanically controlled engines especially when the genset was used as part of an uninterruptible power transmission application where a generator would be required to start run-up and be on line under full load in under 2 minutes, but that entails a host of complicated switch gear, capacitor bank & battery bank plus a DC to Ac power converter. You would find systems such as this utilized in Hospitals Airports for tower control telecommunications financial institutions large factories and many others. Not exactly what your requirements are but completely germane to the subject as many others may read these threads in future searching for information.
    He also mentioned hydraulically driven generators these are a great way to get pure clean power the complexity of building one may be a little on the expensive side though you would need to build a closed loop hydro-static electronically controlled pump and motor to drive the generator head or use the auxiliary hydraulics from the tractor again having electronic controlled valving on the hydraulic motor driving the generator all of which are do able.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 10, 2017)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello Rancher,
    No offense taken, I just realised how out of touch I am with some things todayjust through not being around them. The machine is an old universal mill with a 1~ 5Hp Parker-Crompton motor. The motor is about 16" in diameter and the same long. It is wired in through a 50 amp fuse and it actually dims the lights in the garage as it starts. I'll proberly end up taking the motor out and building a coffee table around it and repower with a 3~ and VFD when I can afford it, boy I love modern technology.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information