Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 12 Volt DC Clutch

Thanks

gord's Tools

12 Volt DC Clutch

Took an automotive AC compressor - 1 inch input/output hoses so not a small one - and adapted it to be used between a power source (electric motor) and a belt-driven machine. Here is the face plate removed and lathed to balance for further lathe work for bearings. 12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5721-copy.jpg Lost some meat around two of the bolt holes but using these for index pins and the other four are plenty. Attachment 5891I lathed the back of the face plate to allow a tight fit to the mount The steel insert where the main shaft goes through the plate is punched out from front side of face plate. 12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5729-copy.jpg Here is the lathed centre hole with bearing press-fitted 12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5732-copy.jpg The clutch plates for this model AC are held in place by external clips and a straight-cut-keyed shaft so it was easy to make. 12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5735-copy.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5723-copy.jpg   12 Volt DC Clutch-_dsc5728-copy.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by gord; Oct 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 28, 2015), kbalch (Oct 28, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks gord! We've added your 12 Volt DC Clutch to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: gord's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Gord

I have a compressor ( toast ) and clutch ( working ) kicking around and been wondering how to make use of it. Thanks for the this, it's timely.

Bob

Thanks

gord's Tools
    I still need to learn how to use this website -- didn't realize limited to 10 pictures. If you are on Facebook look on my page gordsettle and I have a complete set of pictures and better explanation of project. I lathed the clutch plates to prevent any creeping under no load without affecting the lock up torque. Current draw of coil is 2.35 amps at 12volts.

Thanks

gord's Tools
    Here is the link to the Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/gord.settle

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information