Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 1906 Adams-Farwell 5-cylinder rotary engine

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

1906 Adams-Farwell 5-cylinder rotary engine

This video is from the 2011 Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance. It's the only remaining Adams-Farwell car, a 6A Convertible Roundabout from 1906.

The car is powered by an extremely unusual rotary engine in which the crank is mounted to the frame, and the engine crankcase spins around it. The spinning crankcase and cylinders act as their own flywheel, and the air-cooled design meant that a radiator is not necessary. See it run at 3:55.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 21, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Sep 20, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), volodar (Dec 8, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Let's see...huge gyroscopic moment with spin axis necessarily vertical. Roads back in those days were primitive. Every time the car lurches over a bump that lifts one side of the car the resultant torque on the gyro-motor wants to steer the car in a different direction.

It's fortunate that the design disappeared before higher speeds and banked turns made their appearance.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by mklotz; Oct 1, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2018), volodar (Dec 8, 2020)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Even just sitting there stationary and running, it doubles as an arm shortener. As if it wasn't dangerous enough, the inventor later got into early experimental helicopters. One of his rotary engines is in the Early Flight exhibition at the National Air and Space Museum: https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...otary-5-engine .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019)

Thanks
    A design prominent in many WWI aircraft. Also made for asymmetrical turning speeds.

Ron

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    1939 Plymouth truck with a radial engine.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Sep 20, 2018), PJs (Sep 23, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 20, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 20, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    That's an awesome rod. There were some retty hot radials built during WWII, Rare Bear still holds a world record they set in 1989 with a Wright radial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Bear

That truck looks even better with it's full metal on https://www.motortrend.com/news/airp...ically-radial/

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 21, 2018), PJs (Sep 23, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), volodar (Dec 8, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Cool "upgrade". I'd put a propeller on the thing Just because but cool none the less.

This makes me wonder about oil usage in such an engine. Or more specifically how do they keep the oil out of the lower cylinders. This one mystery about radials I never fully understood.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Cool "upgrade". I'd put a propeller on the thing Just because but cool none the less.

This makes me wonder about oil usage in such an engine. Or more specifically how do they keep the oil out of the lower cylinders. This one mystery about radials I never fully understood.
    You are right-oil did collect in the lower cylinders. The solution was a process termed “Turning out” the engine, where, with the ignition off, workers would rotate the prop by hand for three or four rotations. This would slowly force the oil out to the exhaust.

As an anecdotal aside, I attended the 2001 Mt. Comfort air show. They had a B29 Superfortress bomber (four radial engines, and the backbone of the air effort in WWII) there. Near the end of the day, as crews were preparing to depart, they asked for volunteers to turn out the engines. I did that alongside my dad, who spent the war working on the B29s at an English airfield. A golden moment.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information