Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 1927 hydrogen cyanide preparation cigarette smoking advice - image

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

1927 hydrogen cyanide preparation cigarette smoking advice - image

1927 hydrogen cyanide preparation, with a rare advisory to smoke cigarettes during the procedure, as a warning of leaky apparatus.

More: http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=cv1p0314

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 18, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 17, 2019)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Uhh nope!!!

That said I've had my fair share of 'Fun with Faulty Hoods' back in my days as a working chemist.

One time I was doing a big Soxhlet extraction with about a liter or so of ether, very carefully, had the hood almost closed, wearing a respirator. Unbeknownst to me the weather that day was weird, and the hood exhaust was being blown directly into the air intake for the building. I was fine, everyone else was getting mildly stoned on ether...

Another time, my boss was working with a selenium compound that carried a BIG warning about 'EXTREME STENCH! Characteristic odor of rotting radishes.' (pretty sure it was this one https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...h_selenophenol ) similar to my experience (this was in a different facility) the wind that day drove the exhaust from our hood right inot the building air intake.

Within minutes everyone was trying to get out of the building while avoiding puking, with varied success. The only reason it was not as bad as it could have been was that he was working after hours, so about 80% of the normal population had gone for the day.

That was when we discovered that our lab, which was built into an addition to the building, did not have stacks on our hoods that met code; the folks who built it simply used a convenient air exhaust out the side of the building...

BTW if you're interested or experienced in chemistry or just want to read stories about horrifically reactive chemicals, that 'Things I Won't Work With' blog is a treasure trove of reading, entertaining, understandably written, and quite informative. Look up the entry on FOOF some time. (and yes, that is it's chemical formula Difluorodioxide. )

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by bruce.desertrat; Apr 17, 2019 at 06:42 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Have not smoked for over 40 years, but reading this I do remember the smoke having a distinctive different taste at times.
    Being chemically dysfunctional I never put the two together, but it does bring back memories.
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Probably the only time when Smoking would be recommended to possibly save your life

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information