Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The 1935 Dempster-Dumpster, the first dumpster - photos and patent

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

The 1935 Dempster-Dumpster, the first dumpster - photos and patent

I was reading a post by Toolmaker51, in which he mentioned: "Wiremold is not only a generic item name but an actual brand as well".

Toolmaker51 was defining a "generic trademark" - a brand name that becomes so popular that it is eventually synonymous with its general product. For example: Band-Aid, Kleenex, Thermos, and...

...Dumpster.

George Roby Dempster was an industrious homemade tool builder who invented the Dempster-Dumpster in 1935.

Dempster eventually held dozens of patents, but it looks like this was the big one:

Interestingly, the dumpster was not originally intended for refuse, but for general construction work. As a younger man, Dempster hoboed around the country before finding work on the Panama Canal as a steam shovel operator, where he saw the need for such a tool.

However, around the 1930s, large American cities were becoming plagued by the buildup of trash, and Dempster's invention found a perfect use in his hometown of Knoxville, Tennessee - one of America's first "Dumpster Cities".

Dempster's invention was so appreciated by city dwellers that he was elected mayor! History speaks kindly of him as both a professional civic leader, and a guy who knew how to git 'er done.

Dempster died in 1964, and his funeral is described as the largest one ever held in Knoxville.

More:

Orginal dumpster patent
    Classic Refuse Trucks DEMPSTER
    Fountain City History

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Altair (Oct 17, 2020), baja (Jul 13, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Oct 8, 2017), KustomsbyKent (Oct 7, 2017), oldcaptainrusty (Dec 1, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 20, 2018), PJs (Mar 19, 2018), ranald (Jul 15, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 7, 2017), suther51 (Mar 18, 2018), Tule (Oct 8, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I don't want to think about how they transported the coffin to the cemetery.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

gunsgt1863 (Oct 8, 2017), ranald (Jul 15, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 8, 2017)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Jon,
    Thanks for posting this along with all of the great pictures of the dumpster in use, and also the patent drawings. Gotta love vintage drawings in patents, you just know someone actually drew those all by hand! Nowadays for new patents, they use a software that renders digit designs and makes it look vintage like that, which is not quite as impressive.
    I'm a big fan of COE trucks, and I currently have a couple, so it's pretty cool seeing COE trucks with the dumpster units on them. I wonder if any originals exist? I've never seen this pop up in any of my COE searches, so this was really interesting.
    Thanks
    Kent

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 8, 2017), PJs (Mar 19, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    Nowadays for new patents, they use a software that renders digit designs and makes it look vintage like that, which is not quite as impressive.
    Lame! I had no idea. I love those old patent drawings. The cross-hatch shading, the fancy lawyer signatures. There is a lot of drama and bureaucratic annoyance in the patent process, but it's also the backbone of technological advancement in a society. Dempster was homeless in The Great Depression, and grew wealthy by virtue of the value he provided to society with his inventions. Literally - he was a hobo.

All good people love COE trucks!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Oct 9, 2017), PJs (Mar 19, 2018), suther51 (Mar 18, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 8, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

skibo's Tools
    That's a cool old bucket truck ("Dempster Dumpster") must of been the start of what is called a Lugger Truck today! I remember seeing my first Lugger truck when I worked at Weyerhaeuser Pulp mill in 1968, I drove them a lot of years up until I retired!

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Gotta love vintage drawings in patents, you just know someone actually drew those all by hand!
    You are right Kent. Did a few Patent drawings back in the day on Bristol Board with pen and ink and sometimes used a LeRoy set. No room for error...At All...Start over from the beginning. They have a look and feel of timelessness to me. Until the advent of ACAD in 82' and for a few years later until it could be proven out and Regulated all drawings were done by hand on Bristol Board but Not sure when they were actually allowed. The regulations for all detail were quite stringent and difficult to discern in verbosalese, written up buy those Bureaucrats trying to hold some standards...tedious in all cases. Now it's all about Lair's and $$$$. My son has 4 now and will check with him to see what he knows about them but think they have a Dept for that.

All good people love COE trucks!
    I've not always been a good people but do love the old cabovers too...is that ok? Thanks for bringing this around again, a great posting, musta missed it during my bad people times.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Marv, during his life he wasn't hearsing around: now you can't Knox that.
    Cheers to Dempster, a very uplifting guy.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 15, 2018)

Thread Information