Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1938 Minneapolis Moline UDLX Comfortractor - video and photos

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by J_P View Post
    Why do you keep posting things by others you find on the internet. I thought this was supposed to be a forum for people to display their own homemade tools.
    You might look at it this way.
    Lets say you have an idea and I have an idea. together that is 1 idea each or 2 total ideas.
    I share mine with you and you share yours with me now I have 2 and you have 2 right? Then one way to look at it would be there are now 4 total ideas but since 1 of yours and 1 of mine are 1 in the same we really only have the 2 ideas nothing had been gained except I have 2 and you have 2 that we might be able to combine then both of us will have 3 ideas since the way you combine your 2 ideas may differ than the way I combine my 2 ideas if we share the new ideas with each other we will now each have 4 these new ideas may create further spin off ideas form the original nucleus as long as sharing of each other's newest ideas occur the growth eventually become exponential.
    Now just for a moment imagine that there is a 3rd party who through due diligence of research shares ideas from people we have never heard of even if those happen to be commercially produced we are now given the opportunity of looking at those and quite possibly combining certain aspects into our ideas. What happens now is instead of the 2 of us only being able to create the growth of our idea base from our own background of knowledge, we have an unlimited treasure trove of possibilities available to us. Some of which may or may not fit into the realm of our scope of what we are trying to accomplish with our idea base but we have learned that since others are now involved our own ideas can be spread across the universe of knowledge like dandelion seeds in the wind.
    Does that help explain why every new posting can in someway become a benefit to others, even if we personally do not see the apparent surface value of them?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 22, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Perhaps another model would be: That if we all screamed for ice-cream and because there are so many flavor choice it's difficult to finger out how to oblige and then someone chimed in and said German chocolate cake...all of a sudden our choices becomes a whole new idea of getting Cake and Ice Cream and being able to have both, then someone says what if we put butterscotch topping on the ice cream too...it's just sooo rewarding to have choices and new ideas. And in our HMT blood, imho.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Pjs I just spent 9 straight hours in a rabbit hole downloading file by file as I went the site had a download all button but would only allow partner member to use it but they also provided a single file download button. My problem was that my net speed and finger speed is such that I could run over their site speed then it would give me time outs Maybe thinking I was a bot or something LOL But now I have a folder which contains almost the entire year of 1885 journal of the American Machinist over a 600 Mb of files.
    Ice cream German Chocolate cake butterscotch and sprinkles to spend many days assimilating all of those files
    Here is the rabbit hole
    just begin advancing using the buttons
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 21, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 21, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice finds Frank. Loved the index in the first one on pg.8 "Letters from Practical Men" and the first entry is "Advice to Young men" Feb. 14 p 4.

The second/third link "Mechanical Movements from 1907 Ohio State must have been the forerunner to the Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers started in 1916...Cool Stuff! Didn't get the reference to pg. 30 and rope transmission of power, though?
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 21, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Prior to pg 30 it is pretty much just yak yak.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm conscious of J_P question, how material of outsiders makes it into HMT.net, butI'll side with PJ's.
    Everyone was an outsider at one point, and inspiration is hard to say which one brought them in. It's clear our interests are not finite. There are what, 350 interlinked sites with HMT.net? And look at the geographic spread of members, it's narrowing social gaps at same rate interests widen. As I'm always pointing out, this ain't merely a 'hobby'. Every civilizations been built this way.
    Jon does a superb job, ne plus ultra, stoking imaginative coals.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J_P View Post
    Why do you keep posting things by others you find on the internet. I thought this was supposed to be a forum for people to display their own homemade tools.
    Not sure if you are asking a question pertaining to subforums vs. forums, which I know can be confusing. In that case, the answer would be that the Homemade Tools subforum is reserved for posting of homemade tools by site users. This subforum, Tool Talk, is for discussing tool related stuff.

If, more broadly, you are asking why I'm posting this stuff on a forum clearly intended for homemade tools, the answer would be that most DIY forums (technically communities of practice) have a place for posting stuff directly targeted to their main area of focus, and a place for posting culture/conversation/discussion. Many forums use this latter area to discuss news, politics, sports, etc.

When we are not posting homemade tools, instead of talking about news/politics/sports, we talk about tool stuff: invention, building, industry, vehicles, STEM, etc. To direct this discussion, I post related items of interest I find anywhere on the net, sometimes inviting the original builders to the discussion.

It's important to note that there were zero homemade tool forums when this site was founded; the original 1,000 or so homemade tools that were listed on this website were found across hundreds of forums catering to a variety of DIY disciplines: machining, welding, 4x4, woodworking, hotrodding, airplane building, gunsmithing, motorcycling, boat building, luthiery, etc. And these forums now know us - over 400 different DIY forums link to HomemadeTools.net.

So if I find something interesting that matches those hobbies, or just something I think that tool people would enjoy, I know I can post it to spark a potential tool idea or discussion. And, with our members, the quality of that discussion is unusually high.

Finally, if you are asking why such posts have increased recently, the answer is that nearly every metric we use to measure forum interest (pageviews, posts, tool submissions, Thanks counts, registrations, etc.) increases with an increase in Tool Talk posts, so we are trying 5-6 new Tool Talk posts per day to see if people like it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2018)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Personally, I enjoy them. Lots of inspiration. I am also glad Jon has the time that I don`t to track down these things.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to baja For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2018)

Thread Information