Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 1950 Allis-Chalmers bulldozer converted to tree harvester - photos

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 15, 2019), bojones (Dec 10, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (May 14, 2019), Seedtick (May 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    High drive before cat ever thought of it

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    So where is a video showing it in action?

Thanks
    In college I asked the heavy eqp teacher what the purpose of high drive was an the teacher did not remember. I have always wondered. Is it to keep the sprocket out of the dirt just a bit more?

Eric

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    In college I asked the heavy eqp teacher what the purpose of high drive was an the teacher did not remember. I have always wondered. Is it to keep the sprocket out of the dirt just a bit more?

Eric
    Eric; cat came out with their high drive so they do do away with the type of final reduction gearing required to allow ground clearance for the dozers which was a single small gear driving a larger gear and the steering clutches By going to the high drive a planetary final reduction drive system could be used which allows for a much higher transmittal or power other considerations were this now raised the drive sprockets out of the muck and rocks associated with moving dirt reducing wear on not only the drive sprockets but the track links as well. the undercarriage could now have slightly more independent vertical travel as well, the wishbone pivot with the high drive is much stronger than having the undercarriage pivot around the old final drive system so there were many advantages to going to the high drive system

Thanks
    Put that way it makes all the scenes, first time I came across planetary gears was in a cordless screwdriver as a kid. Been fascinated ever since.
    Eric

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Planetaries are very popular in large earth moving equipment. They are fascinating and I have to admit to tearing a couple apart ( very small ones) just to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Put that way it makes all the scenes, first time I came across planetary gears was in a cordless screwdriver as a kid. Been fascinated ever since.
    Eric

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The nice thing about epicyclical gearing is by capturing various components such as the ring the planetary carriage or even the sun gear switching out which member is driven or driving you can have several differing ratios with a single pack having packs mounted back to back will double or triple the available ratios even though the complexity might become ridiculous. The gear sets don't need to be strictly linear either as there can be a sun gear then a set of orbital in a carriage with an internal external ring followed by another set of orbital gears topping off with a final internal toothed ring

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information