Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 1950 trailer truck airplane - GIF, video, and photos

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 11, 2018), bimmer1980 (Dec 11, 2018), hegefer (Dec 10, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Dec 10, 2018), PJs (Dec 11, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 10, 2018)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    I met and interviewed the designer of the cargo pod portion of this plane for one if my Industrial Design classes when I was in college. Somewhere I have a copy of one of his presentation drawings for this plane. He was a nice guy and very accommodating. He also designed the Coppertop battery, the iconic Boston pencil sharpener and invented the twin-wheel furniture caster.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    I met and interviewed the designer of the cargo pod portion of this plane for one if my Industrial Design classes when I was in college. Somewhere I have a copy of one of his presentation drawings for this plane. He was a nice guy and very accommodating. He also designed the Coppertop battery, the iconic Boston pencil sharpener and invented the twin-wheel furniture caster.
    I'll continue this evening, with an analogy.

Flight Of The Phoenix
    1965 with Jimmy Stewart, Hardy Kruger and others...when their cargo plane crashes in the desert, an aircraft designer [Kruger] originates how to cannibalize remainder and re-construct a flyable craft. Other members of party are enthused until his applications are scale hobby craft - not passenger planes. He argues a model only rolls along the floor, his are true planes that operate in same manner as full size. With him as the only reasonable means of returning to civilization, some accept the proposal.

Link to script https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...of-the-phoenix

Well, I'd fly along in the same kind of instance. Whose mind wouldn't it cross flying along when someone up's and says he also designed casters and pencil sharpeners? But on the other hand, might a real engineer have more than one field of expertise?

John asks why this concept didn't "take off". One, to be efficient, one plane needs more than container. Anything cargo-carrying must transit to produce income, not wait for a load to collect or fly unladen; even worse.
    It does make me wonder, did this concept birth modular container system planes use now?
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 12, 2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: uhh, reading and posts interrupted by work?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Can anyone explain why this idea never, ahem, "took off"?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Can anyone explain why this idea never, ahem, "took off"?
    One of the reasons was the need to transport the empty specialized containers back to point of origin for refilling.
    with the advent of cargo planes such as the Military C130 and many others there was no requirement of the specialized containers Palatalized cargo could even be air dropped.
    The As64 flying crane could carry a wide variety of suspended cargo. But even those were not as useful as the C47 series Chinooks with these they could either transport cargo inside or up to 47 troops or lift up to 20,000 lbs under belly suspended from 1 or all 3 of the winches
    Currently the King of air cargo craft would the Antanov AN 225. But that may be upstaged soon by the stratolaunch maybe not in capacity though.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 12, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think it was a timing thing. Jets came along after wwII and started to phase out the prop aircraft. I think this plane just fell into the phase out category before it really go started. It required lots of extra folks at handle it at each landing location as well as a lot of extra "pods" detachable cargo sections at each location. It is a little like the ocean going containers ships we have today.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information