Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1950's table saw as DIY CNC bed...

Thanks

motopreserve's Tools

1950's table saw as DIY CNC bed...

Hey folks,

Just had a comment from one of the fine members who runs the HMT.net YouTube Channel. He had seen one of my recent videos - and was surprised that I had so few subscribers (Hey, I thought 16 subs was doing great!), suggesting I post up a link here. He said: "looks like you're one of us :-)..."

I appreciated the offer - especially since I have previously researched many ideas here in the past, and have always found this a very valuable resource, and indeed consider myself one of you all.

This video is part 1 of my attempt to convert the table from a 1950's Rockwell saw into the bed of my DIY CNC. There are also some vids over on the channel that show the restoration of an old Millers Falls power hacksaw - patent date 1893!

Hope you enjoy the videos...

https://www.youtube.com/user/motopreserve

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motopreserve For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 12, 2019), PJs (Feb 13, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There's always Dave Gingery's method for handscraping a metal bed into near-perfect flatness.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

motopreserve's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa1963 View Post
    There's always Dave Gingery's method for handscraping a metal bed into near-perfect flatness.
    Handscraping is on my list of skills to learn....right after strength to lift heavy items without breaking my back

Thanks for the tip!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to motopreserve For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 13, 2019)

Thanks

motopreserve's Tools
    Aaaaaand I ended up going down the rabbit hole last night researching handscraping

Does seem like a skill that would be very helpful sooner than later, based on some of the projects I'd like to tackle in the near future.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks motopreserve! We've added your CNC Bed to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: motopreserve's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I have to say you Are pretty lucky with this table. As you note a modern table saw with a similar table would be very expensive these days. The majority of the contacts s saws and homeshop saws have pretty flimsy tables. Often they are not even castiron.

Thanks

motopreserve's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I have to say you Are pretty lucky with this table. As you note a modern table saw with a similar table would be very expensive these days. The majority of the contacts s saws and homeshop saws have pretty flimsy tables. Often they are not even castiron.
    Totally agree! My working saw at the shop has an aluminum table. It;s a job-site saw, so I understand the need for weight savings. But the quality is not nearly there when compared to these old saws.

I felt lucky that I found something I could use in the size I needed - although to be fair, the ebay seller had many, many table tops from some fine old tools. So far it's looking like it's going to work for my purposes. I'll have to post up the next video when I get the thing humming along.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ol' Dave G. only proliferated it to a audience beyond 'us' in the know. The 3 plate process, it goes back centuries.
    The most visible examples are probably Whitworth's metal planers, mid-1700's. He'd attained flatness far below thousandths, before any instruments that could measure such deviation.
    Very same phenomena brought back English Wheel, demonstrated frequently by Indian Larry, when reality TV was truly inventive and informative, not ridiculous drama.
    Seeing the new posts collect in this thread, cast iron is a natural choice, aluminum not far behind.

My choice, starting from scratch would be different. I'd build on one version or another "acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate", quartz/ resin, or marble countertop materials. All are very flat, virtually impermeable, some quite machinable and will hold tapped holes, or inserts. Visit your local building material upcycling depot, new material not required.
    That atop a suitable ballasted frame isn't far removed how many modern machine tools are made - linear guides on simple cast beds.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Feb 17, 2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

motopreserve's Tools
    I've seen a video where a guy used a granite plate as the bed. Drilling the holes was tough, but after he got his rhythm down he seemed to move right along - and ended up with a sturdy and dependable DIY CNC. I got this tablesaw top for $80 shipped, which made it worth a try.

It has certainly added heft to the machine, which was a welcomed addition, although my back would say different

12. The Following User Says Thank You to motopreserve For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Tough to beat $80 for a decently sized and stable platform. Shipping was probably half of the cost.
    If you really want it mobile, there are various kickdown wheel arrangements posted here. Lots like a wheelbarrow, except 2 wheels, and they don't contact until needed.

That reminds me of a certain run of table saws. Ridgid R4511 had granite table and wings 1 3/4 thick. Cast iron is our friend, but granite's a superior sliding surface.
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009...ablesaw-review
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Feb 18, 2019 at 06:56 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information