Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20 ton Air/Hydraulic Mini Press

Thanks

Arcadia's Tools

20 ton Air/Hydraulic Mini Press

Here is my version of the Mini Press. It took me way too long to put it all together...but it turned out well. Many used 2" square tubing for the base, but I had a piece of 10" wide channel. It has a piece of 1" plate cut to fit the channel and welded across the center to support the cylinder. Only have 2 sets of dies made up so far but will make a bunch more as I go along. The air valve for the cylinder was put into a foot operated air switch which lets me hold my hot work and operate the hydraulic release on/off.

20 ton Air/Hydraulic Mini Press-20170425_194449.jpg

I had it on a small steel stand but it was not easy to move. So I cut part of the off and mounted it to an old horizontal dolly that I had. Now it can be moved out of the way when not in use.

Now that it's complete I'm thinking I want a bigger hydraulic press.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arcadia For This Useful Post:

Al8236 (Apr 26, 2017), bobs409 (Apr 26, 2017), Canyonman44 (Nov 23, 2019), Paul Jones (Apr 27, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Very good! Would like to see what kind of dies you have an are planning to make.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    I take it you are using this as a forging press? How do you find the speed of the air over hydraulic jack for this type of work?
    I was looking at this option but thought the jack might be quite slow.
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Al8236 For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Nov 23, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Arcadia! We've added your Pneumatic Hydraulic Mini Press to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Arcadia's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Arcadia (Apr 28, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Nice, exactly what I have stewing in my mind to do. I like the size. I do not "think" I need a big press. I do need to mount it outside
    I don't have any room for storage. Do you have more pictures? I'd like to see your foot pedal.

Thanks

Arcadia's Tools
    The speed is kind of slow, but it is way better than hammering by hand. At least with the foot pedal it is faster because I don't have to switch hands around. I've seen one that had an actuator to open and close the jack valve, which helped the speed, but for what I need is too involved and costly.
    To compensate for the speed I'll need to make some aggressive drawing dies. The flat dies and the slight curve don't move things fast...although I only played with some 52100 round bar.
    I can take a pic of the box that the foot pedal came in if you're interested Ralphxyz.

Some of the other dies I want to make will be specific tooling for integral knives. The ideas have been floating around my mind, I just haven't got them figured out enough to draw them out yet.

I appreciate the comments guys.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I like pictures!! Also a link to where you got it from. I also need to see forging dies. I have not even gotten around to picturing what I will need
    for a specific project die wise. I have lots of idea floating around in my mind about a press. I am wondering if
    the jack pressure can be increased with a lever?

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    I like pictures!! Also a link to where you got it from. I also need to see forging dies. I have not even gotten around to picturing what I will need
    for a specific project die wise. I have lots of idea floating around in my mind about a press. I am wondering if
    the jack pressure can be increased with a lever?

Ralph
    ON those air over hydraulic jacks the pneumatic assist is a piston pump. they are designed to develop full rated jacking pressure using 80 to 90 PSI air. However experience on the ones I have owned will develop more jacking force if I used the mechanical pump handle but in doing so the jacks are pushed beyond their rated capacity at one point the internal bypass valve would vent the gain in pressure on a brand new jack might have been 10 to 15% but on an older jack which had been over pressured several times a significant loss in power could be noted using either system.
    If you need more power go to a larger jack.
    It would require some trick machining and valving along with very high pressure lines and an accumulator but if a person needed more speed they could incorporate a hydraulic accumulator to build up and store a large volume of pressurized oil much like an air compressor stores pressurized air only instead nof 125 PSI you are looking at as much as 10,000 PSI for some of the better quality jacks
    Enerpac and SPX power team make both electric and pneumatic driven high pressure systems up to several tens of 1000 PSI and from very minute flow rates on up to gallons per minute it is simply a matter of how much money one has to throw at them for extreme custom designs.
    I've built hydraulic power systems with variable flow rates in the 100's of gallons per minute using 500 HP diesel engines but nothing over 8000 PSI
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Arcadia (Apr 29, 2017), Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks Frank, but why would not a simple lever work? Say a 13" arm 1" off the pivot that would have to multiply the force and keep it within the
    operating parameters of the jack. The jack would not see any difference but the lever would multiply the force.

Of course this is all coming off the top of my head I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
    Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A leaver would require the use of fulcrums (pivots)to act upon the distance between work, force, and fixed point.
    If the intent is to have more force or power this is done at the expense of speed if speed is desired then power is reduced
    the only way to gain mechanical advantage is to have slower movement and vice versa
    20 ton Air/Hydraulic Mini Press-8560463.png
    20 ton Air/Hydraulic Mini Press-maxresdefault.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Arcadia (Apr 29, 2017), Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 29, 2017)

Thread Information