Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 20 ton press

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

20 ton press

Finishing simple 20 ton press, very traditional design.
    That was asked.

Inverting jack is made same way than this video:

Container is made from alumine gas bottle. ( Tire repairing foam bottle )

20 ton press-fb_img_1542905214256.jpg

20 ton press-fb_img_1542905224874.jpg

20 ton press-fb_img_1542905235655.jpg

20 ton press-fb_img_1542905246673.jpg

Jack moves sideways 350mm
    "Rails" are made from pipes and connected to frame with nuts. Loose connectio between nuts and pipe, so in use javk leans against frame.

Sorry about blurry images, better ones when the build is ready.

Thanks for checking this out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 23, 2018), Duke_of_URL (Jul 5, 2022), kess (Nov 22, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Nov 25, 2018), marksbug (Nov 22, 2018), rossbotics (Nov 25, 2018), stuffucanmake (Dec 26, 2018), Tule (Nov 26, 2018), zarembak (Nov 22, 2018)

Thanks
    nice work, your darn good with that angle grinder. you could also remove the nub from the jack handle pump tub thingy that stops the handle from going through and pump from the other side so your pumping down not up. just add a nub on the handle for a stop. I thought you were going to connect the springs to the plate you made that go's across the jack to hold it. but your way is good too. keep up the great work!!.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

kess's Tools
    Yes I agree, pumping downwards is more easyest than upwards
    20 ton press-1.jpg 20 ton press-2.jpg 20 ton press-4.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kess For This Useful Post:

SA MAKER (Feb 21, 2019)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    nice work, your darn good with that angle grinder. you could also remove the nub from the jack handle pump tub thingy that stops the handle from going through and pump from the other side so your pumping down not up. just add a nub on the handle for a stop. I thought you were going to connect the springs to the plate you made that go's across the jack to hold it. but your way is good too. keep up the great work!!.
    My opinion is opposite. Its easier to pump upwards.
    Usually you can lift more weight that you weight by yourself... when tightening vise for example, lifting is easier.
    Same with the jack, you can use your feets for pumping, when pulling down you can only use your hands or your weight..

So, there's no actually "best" solution for that, i like that lifting handle up works better than pressing it down.

Ed
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ed's Tools
    Unless I am missing something, why would you bother inverting the Jack? Surely you could make the jack upright as the force is the same at the top as the bottom, put the jack on a movable plate with a solid round bar underneath on the bottom of it to do the work, as the ram extends the jack, the plate with the round bar moves up and down against the work holding the jack in the proper position. I could never understand why people do it this way!

Thanks
    I agree. Ive see a few like this, like wtf? and when the seal starts to seep....I just dont see the reasning. perhaps the builders just dont know wheather jacking on or jacking off is the same dam thing. and probably easyer the other way, but in reality it's just users/makers preference. they both work. ive see expensive units dont that way too,there is no rong so to speak.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Unless I am missing something, why would you bother inverting the Jack? Surely you could make the jack upright as the force is the same at the top as the bottom, put the jack on a movable plate with a solid round bar underneath on the bottom of it to do the work, as the ram extends the jack, the plate with the round bar moves up and down against the work holding the jack in the proper position. I could never understand why people do it this way!
    It can be made this much smaller.
    20 ton press-img_20220714_054320.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 14, 2022)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    I agree. Ive see a few like this, like wtf? and when the seal starts to seep....I just dont see the reasning. perhaps the builders just dont know wheather jacking on or jacking off is the same dam thing. and probably easyer the other way, but in reality it's just users/makers preference. they both work. ive see expensive units dont that way too,there is no rong so to speak.
    Actually sealing stay better when oil is resting on top of it. ( When inverted ) I have used presses like this over 5 years now. ( I made my first version then) And have now leaks.

If oil leaks, used oil has too low viscosity.
    Personally i see many benefits with the simplified assembly of the jack.
    ( Upside-down ) Many toolings can be installed directly to it. Lenght of the ram can be adjusted..

But, that's just one opinion.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information