Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder

I was taken by surprise during my simple addition of making the M2.5-0.45 and M3-0.5 thread gages (see the second page to http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...-caddy-55964-2 ) when I discovered the die diameters for cutting the treads were 20 mm and not 13/16" in diameters. I bought the dies years ago from Enco (now part of MSC) and never thought to check the diameters until I started using them. I do not have any die stocks or a lathe die stock for the 20 mm diameter dies.

I made a simple 20 mm ID sleeve from 1" dia. stainless steel 303 solid rod, bored to 20.05 mm ID, with three pass-through screw holding holes for holding the dies from the set screws in a 1" (25.4 mm) tailstock die holder.

The typical 13/16" dies are 0.8125" in diameter and the 20 mm dies are 0.7874" in diameter. Very easy to not notice the difference in diameters unless I laid one die on top of the other and looked closely to see the difference. Now that I know the difference I have found through the Internet several designs of the 20 mm diameter die stock holders for dies typically in the M2.5 to M6 ranges.

20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-20-mm-die-sleeve-die-1-inch-dia.-tailstock-die-holder.jpg 20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-20-mm-die-sleeve-installed-into-tailstock-die-holder.jpg

THe following are the construction steps.

20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-20-mm-1-inch-die-sleeve-conversion.jpg 20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-using-cogsdill-burraway-deburr-top-bottom-hole-one-pass.jpg 20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-parting-off-catching-20-mm-id-die-sleeve.jpg

20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-boring-final-size-id-20-mm-die-sleeve.jpg 20mm diameter Die Adapter for 1" Diameter Tailstock Die Holder-initial-drilling-20-mm-die-sleeve-before-boring.jpg

THank you for looking,

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 30, 2018 at 10:26 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Mar 31, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Apr 6, 2018), PJs (Apr 4, 2018), rossbotics (Apr 1, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 31, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 31, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Paul Jones! We've added your Die Holder Adaptor to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Great work Paul, I need to make a attachment like that, I'll have to put that one on my to do list
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 5, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thank you Paul! Simple solution for the problem. Appreciate the Cogsill Burraway reference...very useful and cool tool design.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thank you Doug and PJs,

Unless it has to be welded, the stainless steel 303 is always my choice for machining SS and has a Machinability Index of 78% (the same as ordinary 1018 CRS). Sure better than machining SS 316 with a 45% index. I like the Cogsdill Burraway tools and have been able to collect their series as new tools from 3/32” to 3/8" by setting up an automated search on eBay and then waiting for a notification when it finds a Buy-It-Now priced item. If you are not in a rush then this is a great way for finding tools. Cogsdill has a cool YouTube site showing videos some of their advanced machine tool automation tools for horizontal boring mills. Fun to watch some of the extra-long reach tools.

Regards,
    Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 6, 2018)

Thread Information