Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: .22 Rifiling Machine old school style

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    people do dum things that is why we have laws The unknown Cat says know the law and use it to protect your rights

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

sking0369's Tools
    So are you wanting to build a rifling machine to make a 22 rifle or are you wanting a 22 barreled rifle? Here are some links you might be interested in that just might make a really accurate shooting barrel.

Barrel liners
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10974.aspx

4130 tube for installing the liners into
    4130 - Chromoly Round Tube 5/8 X .156 X 3' - $24.95 : Shapiro Supply, Alloy steel, Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Aluminum Diamond Plate, Metal Suppliers

The 5/8" x .156 wall thickness will give you an inside diameter of .313" and the 5/16" barrel liners would be around .3125. Should fit but would probably need to be emery clothed to make the clearance fit just right.

The 22 rimfire cartridge needs a 1-16" or 1-20" rifling twist rate. I question if you'd be able to get that fast of a twist out of a rifling log like you have pictured. Would probably need sine bar rifling machine using rack and pinion gears.

I'm building a rifling tool for a black powder barrel out of a 4 foot piece of 3" PVC pipe and a 1 foot log sliding inside of the pipe. I've got about 50 3/8" metal dowels stuck through from the outside of the pipe circling around a 1-48" twist, and the wood log that has been turned down to fit snuggly has a corresponding groove cut into it to follow the dowels coming in from the outside. I'm not done with it yet and am not sure how well it will work. But this may be an idea for you.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by sking0369; Mar 28, 2016 at 08:50 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sking0369 For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Mar 29, 2016), tommythacker (Feb 4, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

bbutcher85's Tools

Illegal, maybe, maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by gpete View Post
    I see the machine gun build has been deleted. That gun was definitely illegal to make or own.I don't sympathize with the anti gun crowd. It amazes me that someone would be so un knowledgable as to post a video like that. Some people have gotten five years in the slammer for doing this very thing.
    It is only illegal to build or own a machine gun if you do not have the proper permits. I have a friend who builds full automatic guns and suppressors (silencers). He is legal and has all the required permits. From what I understand the permits are not cheap, but can be obtained by anyone who passes the background checks. It is legal for anyone to shoot the guns in full automatic mode with a silencer provided the permit holder is present and supervising the activity. You are right about going to jail for this sort of thing without the permits however.

Bob

Thanks
    In the video he made he asked his buddy if it was legal, He replied "I don't know but it sure is fun." He also kept showing Bill Holmes' book about how to build a machine gun. In his book Bill clearly advised his readers about the law regarding the build. It's a great book by an amazingly talented guy, but I felt like maybe the OP thought that because there was a how to book that it must be legal. Don't really know why I commented on the whole deal. Just answering his question I guess. I didn't know it was going to be gone when I set out to post. Hope he is O.K. over this slip up. GP

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thank you Randy got get on this info might find some gold in dem dear books LoL

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hey best one yet sounds like what I am looking for could you send me a few pic or a drawing with dimentions might be what I should be building

Some wise guy ( Great Minds think alike and other unlike minds never think ) LoL

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    well unless you have alot of money and time if you mess with the law this is the price you will pay thats why I am doing this to keep legal I am sure there is lots of bad stuff out there but people like us do respect the law and I am glad you brought it up. I am sure its still out there some place so dont be sorry but it shows the owners of this site are responsiabe enough to not promote illegal activity keep up the good work guys

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think you said you did build a machine I woul like to see it could you send me a few pics and drawing with the dia. I am still stuck and digging my grave deeper LoL just asking for help but getting shovles LoL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Jamman; not heard how the project progresses.
    I found this researching Harry Pope, barrel maker extraordinaire. This is not to dissuade but inspire you. It describes the rifling cutter described earlier. This excerpts an article printed in 1934. San Diego Schutzenguilde
    " To rifle out the inside of a .22-caliber barrel takes about seven hours. The cutter is fitted with a wedge and screwhead so the feed, or depth it cuts, can be varied from time to time. The steel shaving removed from the grooves at first is about l/5000th of an inch thick. Later, when the end of the work is near and there is danger of cutting too far, less than 1/40,000 of an inch is removed during a "pass." It takes about 120 passes to cut each of the eight grooves within the barrel."

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information