Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 speed lathe milling attachment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools

3 speed lathe milling attachment

I wanted to be able to use cutters up to 13mm and slitting saws in a toolpost spindle so here is my attempt.
    This is inspired by the Quickstep mill that is no longer available and at over £600 GDP new I would have made one anyway. This had a built in vertical height adjustment which I decided to dispense with and instead use my vertical slide or gantry, as I did not like the idea of mounting the whole thing in a toolpost by a bar mounted by two cap screws. It was powered by a 60w dc motor which I have read was under powered so I am using a 200w version.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-original-qstep-post-1.jpg
    This is a constant mesh type gearbox.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-screen-shot-06-02-17-04.17-pm.jpg
    I was fortunate in obtaining the original article published in the Model Engineers Workshop, however these turned out to be the most difficult drawings I have ever encountered, full of contradictions and errors with some individual parts dimensioned in three different unit systems (mm, imp and fractions) and was quicker in the end to re-draw some of them.
    The original spec called for box section alloy extrusion for the casing which is no longer sold in the sizes required so I decided to fabricate the gearbox housing from some extrusion that I had, this is more lengthy approach but to me it was free. The two end plates were cut from a lump of cast alloy that was from an old shoe last.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-end-plates-start-post-2.jpg
    The four sides cut from the extrusion all dowelled and screwed together which required extreme accuracy if the four bearings etc were going to line up correctly, fortunately all was well.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-gear-case-finished-post-4.jpg3 speed lathe milling attachment-milling-key-seats.jpg
    The spindle is made from cast steel of over 2 inches dia, this is a pig to machine but does finish well and seems to have work hardening properties, I angle grind the scale and skin from this before attempting to machine it, spindle housing is from a piece of steel I had already and may get remade to improve the mounting arrangement.
    The gear shafts are 8mm and are turned from high tensile steel (I buy long 12mm bolts in packs of 50 cheaply to make engine studs etc). All gear blanks are reamed 8mm and this is the datum for boring to sizes after gear cutting.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-most-parts-finished-post.jpg
    The drawing calls for one keyway for the sliding hub but as this transmits all the power I have used two.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-gear-cluster-post.jpg
    Thin sealed cycle bearings are used for the cutter spindle and oilite bushes for the countershaft, a needle roller in the drive end. The drawing calls for Belville washers for preload but I found that I could only buy these in quantities of 100 so a compressed O ring was used instead.
    On assembly everything ran freely only the 60t gears needed a little running in with some Brasso. I was pleased with that as the gears are home made as are the cutters and form tools.
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-gears-assembled-post.jpg3 speed lathe milling attachment-imgp0352.jpg
    I needed the motor to be clamped in any rotation about the spindle to suit various set ups so having run out of plate an alloy casting was made (my first in a charcoal filled flower pot which just made it).
    The original gearbox was oil filled but with my construction keeping oil contained was unlikely so I opted for spray grease applied through an inspection cover.
    The poly v belt pulleys are turned from Tufnol, sizes dictated by material available and are reversible on fixed hubs but as the motor is variable speed there may be no need. Some sort of belt guard is needed so one was heat formed and welded from plastic (actually cut from a square plastic rain water pipe).
    3 speed lathe milling attachment-finished-post.jpg
    The only purchases have been three bearings, an oil seal and drive belt.
    Not a difficult build if a little time consuming but I enjoyed making it and at least it kept me out of mischief for a while.
    Everything is now up and running so I hope to post some examples of use soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 speed lathe milling attachment-screen-shot-05-31-17-07.57-pm.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by olderdan; Jun 2, 2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Wrong drawing

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

big o (Dec 14, 2017), bigtrev8xl (Oct 19, 2018), C-Bag (Jun 2, 2017), Carlos B (Jun 2, 2017), Cascao (Jun 7, 2017), DDoerschuk (Jun 4, 2017), DIYSwede (May 20, 2019), drivermark (Dec 21, 2017), hemmjo (Oct 22, 2023), Home-PC (Aug 6, 2020), jjr2001 (Jun 1, 2017), LMMasterMariner (Jun 2, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Aug 4, 2020), NortonDommi (Jun 2, 2017), Okapi (Jun 1, 2017), Paul Jones (Jun 3, 2017), PJs (Feb 27, 2018), robertt4522 (Jan 30, 2019), Ron 2 (Jun 4, 2017), rossbotics (Jun 2, 2017), Seedtick (Jun 2, 2017), Sleykin (Aug 7, 2020), thehomeengineer (Feb 27, 2018), threesixesinarow (Oct 14, 2018), tonyfoale (Feb 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 26, 2018), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (Jun 1, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your 3 Speed Lathe Milling Attachment to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    What can I say, outstanding very nicely done. I can only dream of doing work like that in my little machine shop.
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlos B For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 2, 2017), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jun 26, 2018)

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Hello Olderdan,
    Excellent job and very useful tool you made. Thanks for sharing.
    I already purchased C20-ER20A-200 tool holder and 8 precision ER20 collets
    (3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 12mm) for the same project.
    Have couple of small usable el. motors but have no time for that right now.
    Regards
    LMMM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 3, 2017)

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks Carlos
    We all have our own areas of expertise and interests, thats what makes HMT so enjoyable.
    I have looked at your web site many times and I could only dream of doing something like that.
    Regards
    Olderdan

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks LMMM
    Congrats on tool of the week, well deserved.
    Looking forward to seeing your version of a toolpost spindle when you get the time.
    Regards
    Olderdan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 4, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Congratulations olderdan - your 3 Speed Lathe Milling Attachment is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

I rarely say this, but: clear winner this week. Original build, nicely detailed, with a high volume of Thanks votes, including many from previous winners.

Some other nice picks this week: Compound Slide Adaptor by Christophe Mineau, End Knurling by rgsparber, Collet Chuck Grinding Setup by Christophe Mineau, Faking a Trapezoidal Nut by rgsparber, Inexpensive Bearing Housing by adachsoft_com, Small Storage Racks by Tuomas, Extended Basin Wrench by MrNurseMan, and a Basin Wrench Modification by Toolmaker51.

olderdan - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 6th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Congratulations and well done.

Here are all of your winning tools:

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Jun 9, 2017), LMMasterMariner (Jun 9, 2017), olderdan (Jun 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Jun 12, 2017), rlm98253 (Jun 9, 2017), Seedtick (Jun 9, 2017)

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Congratulations. Well deserved.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 9, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Congrats, wish you many more
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 9, 2017)