Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4 inch bench vice restoration

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Well this post seems to have some good AD_VICE for restoring vises......just saying. nice restoration older dan. Cap.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 22, 2018)

Thanks
    I am always on the lookout for old vises. I have picked them up for just about next to nothing, and do just what you have done. The only ones that I have kept are a Wilton bullet vise, and a very old, very heavy Morgan Coach Builders vise. I do have a few small vices that I keep around. I have been on the lookout for a Record vice, but they are kind of sparse on this side of the pond, the English built ones anyway. Great job fixing that one up.

2000 Tool Plans
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blkadder For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 23, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Olderdan, that is a very nice restoration I have an old cast steel bodied vice I need to do the same thing to someday
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    About a month ago I got very lucky with a great vice. For 20 euros I got one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Recor.../dp/B0002JT4KG
    I already had 3 Record 125 mm vices but I just couldn't let such a bargain go by. It has 150 mm jaws and is from the heavy duty range which is made from cast steel instead of the more usual cast iron. It is a genuine Record made prior to the Irwin involvement, by all accounts these are better quality than the current ones.
    It looked a bit beat up but it was just hard use, nothing was worn or damaged except that the jaw pieces needed a bit of a grind to bring them back. The screw was well greased and was not worn. I totally stripped and repainted it and it has become my most used vice in the workshop. I don't recall photographing it though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 23, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Sounds like a real bargain find, I followed your link and could not believe the price for a new one. I have an old 5 inch Record steel vice that belonged to my uncle, I will do that one next.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I had a Record mounted on 1 of my welding rigs back in the early 80's. I thought it was cast steel until one day the fixed jaw and half of the body broke off. I welded it back together with High Ni. 500 welding rods and it never broke again.
    I wasn't aware that Irwin absorbed Record, I remember when Irwin took over the Peterson tool co. their vice grip locking pliers "IMO" went down in quality by 60% I still have several old Peterson vice-grips that are in better shape than nearly new Irwin's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 26, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Sounds like a real bargain find, I followed your link and could not believe the price for a new one.
    Alan, before I went to see it I googled for details and like you I found the new price incredible. I would never pay that for a bench vice. I also got a few other tools from the same chap. He was English and was planning on moving back there where he would have no workshop. He only advertised on an expat website and most expats here are only after the sun, He advertised previously at higher prices but had no takers so as his departure date approached he just dropped the prices to almost giveaway values. He used to race Formula Ford, hence his need for tools.

However, your find was at an even better price.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    There is some posts here on electrolysis, I just use a 12v car battery with a charger connected to keep up the amps. Best part is it will remove paint and free up all those bolts and seized parts as well.
    What electrolyte did you use? I usually use acid for rust removal and have not so far tried electrolysis.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Olderdan, that is a very nice restoration I have an old cast steel bodied vice I need to do the same thing to someday
    I was wrong about it being steel, I just went out to check it. It is a Cast Iron Prentice made in New York still a pretty good old beat up vice, just has some bits broken off that I will have to make and weld back on when I get around to refurbishing it

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Great job Dan: I did one of mine (a Record 4") recently as my son had tried to force it open it too wide. I didn't bother respraying like your beaut job. I have a 3" one that needs parts. I refurbished a large offset one about the time when "Sargeant Pepper told the band to play" but never built the bench for it=not enough room! At least I can clamp it on a corner when I really need to use it: it ways a ton. I did paint that one............ fire engine red. Then again it cost me AU $250 at a boot sale, way back then.
    Cheers,

Ranald

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 24, 2018)

Thread Information