Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 41 interesting vise patents - drawings

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,834 Times in 11,335 Posts

41 interesting vise patents - drawings

Some vise patent pickins using the complex but excellent advanced patent search at USPTO.gov. An example query for a search like this, entered into the advanced search box here:

CCL/269/$ AND APT/1 AND ISD/9/10/2008->9/10/2018 AND (TTL/vice OR TTL/vise)

In order:

CCL/269/$ - US patent classification class 269: Work Holders (the class most likely to contain vise patents)
    APT/1 - utility patents only (this eliminates design patent results)
    ISD/9/10/2008->9/10/2018 - patent issue date for the past decade (ISD limits my search to only issued patents, and not applications)
    TTL/vise OR TTL/vice - two common spellings of vise

For a larger search, just expand the date range, or add queries like "clamp" or "work holding". Some curated results below; click on each for the full patent:

Multi-Functional Vise Base

Quick Release Vise

Precision Leveling Vise

Vise Pads for Accurate Work Alignment

Flexible Vise Jaw

Centric Clamping Vise

Pressure Adjusting Vise Apparatus

Torque Measuring Vise

Pocket Hole Drill Guide Fixture

Integrated Foot Vise and Wrench

Portable Dual Vise for Horseshoes

Modular Vise System

Work Table with Integrated Vise

Micro-Adjustable Parallel Bench Vise

Vise Carrying Device

Cam-Activated Bench Vise

Self-Centering Dual Direction Vise

Five Axis Machine Vise

Machine Vise Quick Locking System

Quick Release Moveable Jaw Apparatus

Pipe Vise Stand

Double Clamp Vise

Bandsaw Vise

Multiple Vise System

Pipe Bender Vise

Quick Change Vise Jaws

Quick Action Woodworking Vise

Quick Release Bench Vise

Multiple Jaw Vise

Portable Vise

High Density Fixture Vise

Locking Vise with Slide Member

Carving Vise

Power-Actuated Vise Apparatus

Sine Vise

Intensified Machinist Vise

Chain Vise Pipe Clamp

Quick Release Vise

Vise or Clamp Attachment

Combination Vise and Clamp

Self-Adjusting Locking Vise Grip

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Mar 16, 2020), high-side (Sep 19, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Sep 19, 2018), PJs (Sep 24, 2018), rossbotics (Sep 25, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 19, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 19, 2018), uv8452 (Jun 26, 2021), volodar (Sep 20, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I own one of those Portable Vises, basically a steel plate with appropriate cutouts to hold dimensional lumber for quick cross-cutting. It occasionally comes in handy when building stuff out in the yard, and if all you have is a circ saw to use it's definitely better than an improvised sawhorse of some sort.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Sep 25, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Forgive poor Jon, and all his vises.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

TSiArt (Sep 20, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    I was thinking Doug might have a field day here. Overall, interesting patents and some looked familiar.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    You're right PJs
    Some of those creatures look familiar don't they

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbotics View Post
    You're right PJs
    Some of those creatures look familiar don't they

Doug
    Yes they do and some are quite ingenious and complex. That Locking vise with slide member although a complex and likely an expensive build seems very versatile. The fairly complex, 3 jaw conical lock/release (fig. 7) for the slider is well done and could be adapted to other systems. Adding the optional multiple lobe cams is also a cool idea, imho.

So Doug, do any strike your fancy for a "Next gen Doug build"?

There is a beauty and simplicity to Patent drawings that lights my candle! Also forgot to Thank Jon for all the links in my previous post.

PJ
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    I own one of those Portable Vises, basically a steel plate with appropriate cutouts to hold dimensional lumber for quick cross-cutting. It occasionally comes in handy when building stuff out in the yard, and if all you have is a circ saw to use it's definitely better than an improvised sawhorse of some sort.
    Agreed Bruce; though I know these as plate vises. There are 2 varieties [at least what I have] sized for dimensional lumber and tube/ conduit/ pipe.
    Portable Vise

Very handy when working alone. Handy enough on the ground, and worth effort hauling up scaffold, roof or mezzanine. Not a tough DIY project, piercing holes, triangles, squares & rectangles, long as profiles are somewhat smooth.
    I use one most often breaking down round stock with a portable bandsaw.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 25, 2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: illustration
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,834 Times in 11,335 Posts
    I think I'm going to work on more posts like this. They're time-consuming to assemble, but probably more intellectually valid than most other GIF or short video style posts. On their face, that is - sometimes a cheesy GIF leads to a rewarding and technically valid conversation.

Probably best themed by decade instead of "So-and-so many interesting...". For example: "Vise patents of the 1930s". Bookending the patents like that will allow me to review them in discrete chunks. The USPTO has an API that I might be able to use for quicker image retrieval too.

Let me know if anyone has ideas, or is curious about specific types of tool patents.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 24, 2020), PJs (Oct 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 3, 2018), uv8452 (Jun 26, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think I'm going to work on more posts like this. They're time-consuming to assemble, but probably more intellectually valid than most other GIF or short video style posts. On their face, that is - sometimes a cheesy GIF leads to a rewarding and technically valid conversation.

Probably best themed by decade instead of "So-and-so many interesting...". For example: "Vise patents of the 1930s". Bookending the patents like that will allow me to review them in discrete chunks. The USPTO has an API that I might be able to use for quicker image retrieval too.

Let me know if anyone has ideas, or is curious about specific types of tool patents.
    I, for one enjoy patents. Especially when related to products I utilize in some manner.........So patents articles as you've generated already, are informative. For me an even greater benefit would be in the technique, maybe a 'checklist' of recommended & successful search avenues.
    My brake is a good example. Very little appears, even less starting from my usual point -brand name and trademark.
    41 interesting vise patents - drawings-form-all.jpg
    So far, patent numbers and date info was not all that close to what I have. Kind of disappointing.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 3, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 4, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I agree Jon this type of post can generate discussion, but give insight to how a device evolves transforms and vectors over a period. It is a lot of work at times and have personally spent hours/days researching patent data bases. They are good for fleshing out ideas or seeing how a need can utilize a portion of design without re-inventing the wheel so to speak. Or, repair/restore an old tool which many of us here enjoy.

An example of one from a while back started with a coffee table size book on patented suppressor technology from the 20' to the 70's I was loaned. Probably 300 pages and each patent inside also had the patents referenced within each, which led (rabbit holed) to some interesting finds in searches. Most of what I was looking for was around db levels, frequencies and various schemes as to how pressures are chamber, routed and dissipated...all which stem back to a couple of your posts on Artillery suppression systems.

I have also collected all of Tesla's patents and refer to them a fair amount when kicking around new alt energy ideas or specific detail he worked out a 100+ years ago. His patents on his turbine still fascinates me for some of the detail that doesn't get translated in modern versions as well as his ground transmission system.

If I think of any specifics I'll chime in but this vise posting is a great starting point, imho and followed several of the linked rabbit holes to good depth. You are pretty darned good at finding candles to light and I'm Always grateful to lean something new or old...and look forward to whatever comes forth.

PJ
    Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 9, 2018)

Thread Information