Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adding a morse taper to drill press.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Thanks Paul. What is HMT?
    It felt mercenary to respond, quoting your realization, vice this opportunity. We tend to abbreviate a few things here. No doubt what makes this informative, educational & entertaining!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 18, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Sorry about that. I try not to use acronyms too often when writing for HomeMadeTools.net. I have been working in and around information technology since the early 1970's where too much information is either a three or four letter acronyms (and reused more than once). Sometimes in our meetings when someone else is presenting, I will ask a question using the exact words represented by the acronyms being discussed just to make sure everyone else in the room knows what we are discussing. When in doubt, ask for clarification because you are probably not the only one in the room who wants to know. Thanks for asking, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    I try not to use acronyms too often when writing
    That reminds me of a funny use of TLAs. From 1973 to the late 1980s when I lived in England I had a business making custom motorcycle chassis. In the beginning mainly for racing and later for the street as well. Around 84/85 I made a series of bikes with a non-conventional design of front suspension and steering. One day a magazine editor came down to do an article about it, this was a period when mainstream manufacturers were assigning TLAs to everything. So when the guy asked me what I called the design I said an FFE (I was just taking the mick out of the main manufacturers). He wasn't happy about that and kept badgering me for an explanation. Eventually, I replied that it meant "Funny Front End". He protested that he could not put that in his article and wanted an alternative. Later, over lunch I told him that he could use its real title of BSS. Again he insisted on knowing the expanded version. He gave up after I told him that it meant "Bloody Silly Steering". His approach to life was a tad more serious than mine.
    Here are a couple pix. of the bikes from back then with the FFEs.

Adding a morse taper to drill press.-milan2.jpg Adding a morse taper to drill press.-q2colournosb_small.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 18, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Good writing practice says that one should indicate the meaning of an acronym the first time it is used in an article. For example, when you talk about calculating CEP (Circular Error Probable) an expansion of the acronym as well as an explanation of the quantity is in order. Many writers ignore this rule, in which case you need to be aware of the acronym dictionary...

Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary

Well worth bookmarking with your other dictionaries. I've encountered very few acronyms that I couldn't find there.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 7, 2018), PJs (Dec 18, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I do hope this crown never joins the hashtag society because to me the # is a short way to saying number as opposed to writing "no." with the period using the quotation marks as a means of separating the intended subject from the rest of the context.
    I receive messages all the time on my phone where the sender has used hashtag this or hashtag that and for the life of me I can not figure out what language they are trying to write in.
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 18, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 18, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Good writing practice says that one should indicate the meaning of an acronym the first time it is used in an article.
    Marv,
    I agree completely except in the case of TLA, that should never be expanded, it would destroy the whole point.
    It should be the responsibility of the writer to produce understandable text not the responsibility of the reader to figure it out. So while I thank you for the link to the dictionary, I won't be following it up.
    I tell my wife that if she wants anyone to listen she should say something interesting. She doesn't take any notice, she just keeps talking anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 18, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Wife? Oh, you mean SWMBO.

The dictionary isn't meant as reading material; it's a resource for those instances when people use acronyms without clarification.

The cell phonies have a culture all their own. It's a culture in which I have no wish to participate.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 18, 2016), Seedtick (Dec 19, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Forget that, I have realised what it means, dummy.
    So...does this mean I have to call myself a dummy for scratching my head about this too? LOL, I didn't actually get it until the fear of a dunce-cap hung over my head...

Also, thank you so very much Mr. Foale for presenting a clear and precise solution to a project that I've been pondering for about 6 months. I thought I had relieved the desire just last week when I purchased a 1977 "Chrysler Machine" 14 inch drill press, only to sadly discover that the seller didn't know the difference between a Morse and Jacob's Taper.

I had been thinking about fitting an adapter sleeve like you've done, independent of your post which I only discovered this evening, originally for my 10" benchtop to a Morse #1, since I have quite a few MT1 bits and countersinks, and knowing a MT2 would be a bit much for the little guy.

Then I came across the 14" DP and was initially buoyed by the promise of an existing MT2 taper spindle...D'oh! "Morse taper Jacob's taper...what's the difference?" says the friendly neighbor. "Ughh", I thought to myself as I held my smile and continued to load it into my truck. After having already shaken hands on the deal, and knowing the money was going toward his passed-due rent, there was nothing else my conscience would allow. It IS a heck of a nice machine, with great heavy castings, and it runs so smoothly I still can't believe it's 40 years old!

Anyway, I will be posting more about the modification and clean-up of the old beauty, as well as a few other tools I've made, and will be making here soon. You guys have really instilled a feeling of gratitude in me for all of the great knowledge that's shared here, and it's time for payback.

See you back here again soon...Aloha, Chuck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stirmind For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We've alll seen Chrysler cars, some know Chrysler ski and sail boats, inboard and outboard engines...
    Chrysler machine tools? Please! That has to be posted; with pix naturally!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We've alll seen Chrysler cars, some know Chrysler ski and sail boats, inboard and outboard engines...
    Chrysler machine tools? Please! That has to be posted; with pix naturally!
    I know, neither had I, and there's nothing on the web about them either...I looked pretty hard and only found cars. I hope posting a pic won't be uncool to the OP(sorry for the TLA...LOL!), but I figure it's cool to fulfill a request, right? I will be creating my own thread to share video and pics about the upcoming modification. Thanks for the interest and here she is....

Adding a morse taper to drill press.-drillpress-17-small-1.jpgAdding a morse taper to drill press.-drillpress-17-small-2.jpgAdding a morse taper to drill press.-drillpress-17-009.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stirmind For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 21, 2017)

Thread Information