Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements

Thread: Adjustable micrometer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 882 Posts

Adjustable micrometer

I needed a micrometer that would fit into a tight area where the frames of my commercial mikes just wouldn't go.

I made a fitting to hold a 0-1" micrometer barrel. As long as I was about it I decided to make it adjustable. The sliding rod converts it into any size between 0 and 3". The extra narrow anvil gets into really tight places.

Is it as accurate as a conventional mike? Of course not but I don't build spacecraft (although I had a hand in designing a bunch of them).

Since I built this I've acquired a 0-0.5" mic that handles many of the situations this tool was built to handle. Nevertheless, it still gets used occasionally.
    Last edited by mklotz; 07-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (09-09-2017), jjr2001 (10-13-2016), kbalch (10-06-2015), Paul Jones (10-07-2015), PJs (10-06-2015), Seedtick (09-11-2017), Toolmaker51 (09-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Is it as accurate as a conventional mike? Of course not but I don't build spacecraft (although I had a hand in designing a bunch of them).
    Spacecraft designer??!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Adjustable Micrometer to our Measuring and Marking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

dave_rupp (03-14-2018), jjr2001 (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I needed a micrometer that would fit into a tight area where the frames of my commercial mikes just wouldn't go. I made a fitting to hold a 0-1" micrometer barrel. As long as I was about it I decided to make it adjustable. The sliding rod converts it into any size between 0 and 3". The extra narrow anvil gets into really tight places. Is it as accurate as a conventional mike? Of course not but I don't build spacecraft (although I had a hand in designing a bunch of them).

Since I built this I've acquired a 0-0.5" mic that handles many of the situations this tool was built to handle. Nevertheless, it still gets used occasionally.
    That's a beauty Marv, reaching otherwise inaccessible places answers a lot of issues in machinery repair. As micrometers increase in range, the frames deepen logically, but some repair work throws a wrench into the works only specialty items remedy.
    There is another benefit; can be zeroed at any position or reading for comparative measurements against a sample or gauge. The Uni-mikes and other interchangeable anvil mikes don't have anything like it. Even a hub mike depends on a rigid frame.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 894 Posts
    very nice Marv I used to have one of these little numbers for measuring the grove widths inside of a hydraulic cylinder gland at times like you described I needed a mic to get in a tight spot this came to the rescue only had to deduct the zeroed thickness without true anvils on the undersides of the jaws body close was all I could expect but it was a lot closer than horse shoes & hand-grenades
    Adjustable micrometer-%24_57.jpg made by that weird guy Starrett
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (01-20-2018), Paul Jones (09-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    That's a beauty Marv, reaching otherwise inaccessible places answers a lot of issues in machinery repair. As micrometers increase in range, the frames deepen logically, but some repair work throws a wrench into the works only specialty items remedy.
    There is another benefit; can be zeroed at any position or reading for comparative measurements against a sample or gauge. The Uni-mikes and other interchangeable anvil mikes don't have anything like it. Even a hub mike depends on a rigid frame.
    I never got around to doing it but it would be a doodle to make an attachable cylindrical anvil for it and use it to measure wall thickness on cylindrical surfaces, e.g., tubing, pipe...

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (09-10-2017), jjr2001 (01-20-2018), Toolmaker51 (09-10-2017)

Thread Information