Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Air carbine muzzle brake

Thanks

rendoman's Tools

Air carbine muzzle brake

Hi all
    I built this Muzzle brake for my weihrauch hw35 (I suppose is "Beeman" the american name). I built this because here in summer (thanks to the bad municipal management of the sewers) I got my courtyard paved in porphyry full of cockroaches! No poisons have effect, I use them, I win some days of peace and in few days again. Problem is that if you coming too close with broom they escape in mass! If you hit them with a short caliber (like 4,5mm \177" low powered air carbine from distance) at min 3 meter, they keep the position and don't escape. Plus if you wait some minutes, some new cockroaches come to eat the slain, and you can multiply the score. Jokes apart, I can't leave a single cramb that these beasts invade the house!
    Made from solid brass, with 2 slot, 3 grains that keep the brake in position.
    I'm thinking about to build an ak version, any idea?

Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00677_1600x1200.jpg Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00678_1600x1200.jpg Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00680_1600x1200.jpg

Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00681_1600x1200.jpg Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00683_1600x1200.jpg Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00685_1600x1200.jpg

Air carbine muzzle brake-dsc00686_1600x1200.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 13, 2016), lazarus (Jun 12, 2016), PJs (Jul 12, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jun 12, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Rendoman;
    Normally a brake works on powder fired projectiles to counteract weight, velocity, muzzle blast & rise. On a pneumatic they lessen the report and alter center of balance much farther forward; unbelievably steady aiming.
    Here we shoot hornets and wasps, ground game like yours is not so plentiful, thankfully. There's usually more jokes than shots taken, and no benefit from cannibalistic insects.
    Mine are just muzzle weights, I believe I'll slot one for a brake and see what happens. What do you want to know about firearm brakes amico?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jun 13, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thank you for answering!
    I got installed on my ak the classic short muzzlebrake, here in Italy we have only semi-auto for civilian market, then no need to keep in position during a blast of full magazine
    I'm thinking about what can do a good muzzle brake in a semiauto firegun for accuracy, and which design can be better. what do you think about ? I only used guns with mb installed, never done one for me.
    Right to speak, I'm thinking another application with powerful revolver, something like compensator but removable

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Sig. Rendoman;
    The news media would have the world think as Americans, we can acquire any sort of firearm. Legitimate & private full-auto's are owned by those who are investigated and hold the specific federal permit. Only a couple states do not further restrict the same ownership. Arizona is one of them. The unfortunate incidents are committed with semi-auto's. The media portrays 'auto-loading' equal to 'auto-firing'; either from ignorance or intentionally. Many gun owners know the difference, there are millions of us, but can't educate the public en-mass at the media's rate of saturation. I'd like to know more about Italian firearm ownership too.

I'm working on a sketch for you to illustrate my brake ideas. That I'll PM, maybe we can develop something; sell the plans and description?

So, on to your project. This page Muzzle Brakes: Recoil Results for 308 & 300 Magnum - PrecisionRifleBlog.com [not a site I participate in] has a comparison of screw-on brakes, tested on .308 Win you know as 7.62×51 NATO. No firearm brakes are retained by what you call grains. 3 reasons - insecure means of locking - certainly will not install concentric to the bore - inability to insure muzzle crown 90 degrees to the bore. Depending on barrel profile, a lathe turned threaded portion about .5 to .6 long, with fine threads, a relief, and a shoulder to seat the brake against. Hole patterns distributed over the length are rotated so adjacent rows have a solid portion between. The holes usually radiate square from the bore, or at a shallow angle back. Can't find anything about surface area to bore/ cartridge capacity. There seem to be inside diameters barely larger than groove diameter, and others with a larger percentage. I know that either must be axially & radially concentric, square to bore. Some chamfered like a typical barrel, seen a few aren't. A front sight band will be an issue, although it could be fit to the brake itself with some alignment 'insurance'.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 12, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Why not! I'm curious to see your idea!
    Thanks for the link, it seems a test really well made!
    I got the same impression about media, they Always against guns! Always thinking of limiting permits and guns
    Here in Italy we have a terrible law about guns. There are 3 type of license:

- The first one (easier to get) is for "sport" , cost about 250euro the first time, last 6 years, after this time new medical visits. With this permit we can buy all the guns accepted by Italy (no war caliber, like 50bmg, but it's common knowledge that whatever moves in Italy is for bribe, unfortunately). It's a permit of purchase and transport to shooting range only. Guns can be used for defence only in own house.

-Hunting permit, cost many money, plus 1000 regional taxes, maybe from a starting price of 500euro

- Defence permit, you can carry pistol or revoler concealed, but you need a reason to ask this license, like owner of a tobacco shop, jewelry. annual renewal.

The absurdity of bureaucracy here is represented by the possession of firearms rules:
    Here guns are divided in 4 Group (execpt daggers and bayonets), some years ago someone thinked to make a "catalogue", an italian crap.

- common guns: pistol and revolver "not for sport use" like short barrel revo, or semiauto, or maybe old "before catalogue". Hand guns before catalogue are all common. You can buy max 3 of this guns, For example i got a 629 in 44mag, ruger in 454c and a 1911.

- sport guns: you can buy max 6 of this type. Usually all 22lr long and short guns (after catalogue), basically the same common guns after catalogue to which the factories have given a new approval. for example a 1911 common may differ from sport just for different grip, or adjustable sight.

- hunt guns: you can buy infinite. all smoothbore with barrel lenght of at least 40cm (take this info for info purpose only, there are many things related) for example a 12ga short shotgun is "common" and not for hunting. Every rifle with caliber up to 5,6mm but with at least 40mm of brass lenght (now abolished luckily)

-historic guns, don't remember if ante 1890 maybe, 8 guns max

Permitted only 200 ammo for "common" , 1500 for hunting guns (slugs and normal ammo like 6,5x55 count like common) 5kg of powder max.
    If you want to collect more guns, you have to ask a specific permit, really hard to reach. alarms, special rooms and safes, and some months of time, plus you can't shoot guns in collection, you have to pass them in "normal" list of guns.

you have to tell me how much perversion is necessary to create such rules! one bad thing here is that every police headquarters is a fief to whether. Law is not completely clear, then everyone interprets the law as he wants, and that's no good , because Citizen losts everytime in front of public amministration, even with the right!

I'm lucky that in my city we have a good police office

This is the source, italian police site:

Armi: le regole per essere in regola

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 12, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Found this saying on Pinterest the other day. "We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control." Been saying similar for years. It just creates an entire bureaucracy around it that taxpayers fund...and the bad guys still get guns any time they want and full Auto's to boot! As of late (Dallas, Louisiana, Boston, Florida) I'm not sure we have full clarity on our loss of morality and ethics over here, let a lone discerning thinking about anything but the next i-toy, but hope we figure it out soon and before more than stink comes from the fan. At least in the midwest (TM51) you still have some modicum of rules...out here in nimby land they are up every orifice telling us how to live or behave...while the rich water their acreage in a drought.

LOL on the Cockroach dispatchement methods, Stefano. I can see how a suppressor might help in the neighborhood! Still have my old Benjamin 312 and still pretty dead eye with it even through my trifocals. The vegetarian rats around our place think they own it but by blowing some bark in their face I don't have to clean and eat them...and we get along better.

Fun Thread guys! Thanks ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 13, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jul 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have stated many times that I am not a GS but I do often buy a few rifles and short guns that are not in working order.
    Many of these only require a few off the shelf readily available replacement parts and some extensive care and cleaning to make them fully functional I have had to make a few hard to find replacement parts for some of my much older rifles & shot guns.
    One of my most recent purchases included an absolute beautiful like new Remington 597 It actually has only 1 thing wrong with it
    Some hack had threaded the end of the barrel with a coarse thread hand die, which is the reason I was able to get it along with a Baikal IZH 43 Bounty-hunter 12 ga and a DB9 pistol for under $135.00 for all 3
    The DB9 was brand new but had a damaged rail It was fully repaired and upgraded by the factory under warranty, test fired and returned completely free of charge. The Baikal was missing a few parts had a couple of broken springs which had the firing pins locked. Easy fix just made the springs, bought 1 or 2 parts,and a lot of cleaning later, after firing a box of #4 shot through it, it is just like new
    Now comes the 597, here I have 3 options option 1 I could feasibly cut the barrel off just at the beginning of the threads> this would just barely leave it legal but questionable length. Option 2 use the horribly rough threads and screw a piece over it then machine that down to match the barrel then try and completely hide the repair. Or option 3 machine the rough threads off and re-thread it with nice fine threads on my lathe for a brake or a flash suppressor Or I could simply accept it for what it is a great shooting cheap knock around rifle that will never be worth selling, Unacceptable. But for now at least I just enjoy plinking away with it, not as much as with my 10-22 now that I have the head space reduced from .065 to .045
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 13, 2016), rendoman (Jul 13, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jul 13, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice score Frank...the DB9 is worth 3 times that. As for the 597, it's a tough call and not sure why anyone would hack one up like that...besides how much noise does a 22LR make unless someone wanted it for something other than hunting, plinking or the range. The other option might be to get a new barrel from Remington...new they are only around $300 so a barrel couldn't be more than $100 I would guess. It's not like you didn't get a good deal or anything and might give you a piece of mind the barrel wasn't compromised during the hack. Just Thoughts.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    PJ the DB9 is the first pocket frame pistol that I have ever owned or fired. When the guy at the gun store said he would include it in the package if I bought the 2 other guns I had my doubts as to its real worth. He wanted to clear out his remaining non-op wall hangers since I had previously purchased 3 other wall hangers the 10-22 A Winchester 25-35 model 94 and a Savage Mark II. He knew that I would either repair them or make darn sure they were only suitable to display from a wall and could never be fired again. Note as of this minute there are no firearms that I own which will not chamber and fire their respective ammo.
    I have a few that I want to change out the furniture for real wood stocks and a few with wood stocks that need some attention and the 597 that works perfectly just has the ugly barrel end

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 13, 2016)

Thread Information