Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: airplane short takeoff/landing records

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    My hit after a bit of rabbit holing is it is a Modded Kit Fox, adding the front ailerons. The fuselage is what confused me as the Pipers and the Super Piper are more rounded. Typically there is a lot of modding done on these bush planes depending on their use and areas of service...the holy grail being the Dehavilland DHC-2 Beaver for HP, versatility and capacity.

Great thread Jon, Thank You!
    Very similar, but this is a variation on the classic Super Cub. It's called the Stolquest SQ12 (a 4 place Super-Cub with a bunch of other mods). Supercub.com is their site.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briankirk725 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 26, 2019), PJs (Jan 27, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This is an amazing performance for a fixed wing aircraft. I wonder what not so visible changes were made and what limitations the modifications place on other aspect of the plane's performance and reliability. Certainly some added weight there. Anybody have a link to more info? Ed W

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weldon View Post
    This is an amazing performance for a fixed wing aircraft. I wonder what not so visible changes were made and what limitations the modifications place on other aspect of the plane's performance and reliability. Certainly some added weight there. Anybody have a link to more info? Ed W
    There's a nice little summary here under the "Backcountry Super Cubs" section: KITPLANES The Independent Voice for Homebuilt Aviation - Super Cub Kit Comparison - KITPLANES Article

The big thing is the leading edge slot which brings the stall speed way down. Longer wing control surfaces are another (also to be able to control the plane at low speeds). Engine mods and using carbon fiber are other common changes. There's a balancing act to be sure. Add a bigger engine, then you might want to lower the weight elsewhere to compensate (less electronics, lighter seats, carbon fiber, etc). The supercubs.org forum is another resource to check out to get a lot of information/theory on all of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading-edge_slot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to briankirk725 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 27, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by briankirk725 View Post
    Very similar, but this is a variation on the classic Super Cub. It's called the Stolquest SQ12 (a 4 place Super-Cub with a bunch of other mods). Supercub.com is their site.
    Thanks much for chiming in here. I'm just a novice with eyes for details and love STOL slow goers. I understand that there is a bunch of modding on these aircraft, but your links show or tell little of what SQ12 actually is in final form and I followed a bunch of other rabbit holes from them. Thanks for the links! The one in the first picture of the article under "Backcountry Super Cubs" is similar but the wing struts, elevator, gear and nose cowling seem quite different and can't see the full tail.

airplane short takeoff/landing records-cub-mackey.jpg

The Backcountry Boss has some features of the one in Jons post except a 4 seater, and has dual wing struts. Backcountry BOSS – Backcountry Super Cubs

The one in Jon's pic is definitely not a 4 seater, has a tail like a T-38 and the fuselage, wings and the engine cowling looks like the Lycoming version of the Kit Fox with the Alaskan 26-29" tire add-on. Only way to know for sure is if Jon could source the Gif/MP4 somehow and we could rabbit hole that.

I may be wrong and happy to admit it but mainly corn-fuselaged.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jan 27, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Thanks much for chiming in here. I'm just a novice with eyes for details and love STOL slow goers. I understand that there is a bunch of modding on these aircraft, but your links show or tell little of what SQ12 actually is in final form and I followed a bunch of other rabbit holes from them. Thanks for the links! The one in the first picture of the article under "Backcountry Super Cubs" is similar but the wing struts, elevator, gear and nose cowling seem quite different and can't see the full tail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cub-mackey.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	27786

The Backcountry Boss has some features of the one in Jons post except a 4 seater, and has dual wing struts. Backcountry BOSS – Backcountry Super Cubs

The one in Jon's pic is definitely not a 4 seater, has a tail like a T-38 and the fuselage, wings and the engine cowling looks like the Lycoming version of the Kit Fox with the Alaskan 26-29" tire add-on. Only way to know for sure is if Jon could source the Gif/MP4 somehow and we could rabbit hole that.

I may be wrong and happy to admit it but mainly corn-fuselaged.

PJ
    You're not kidding on eyes for details! Very impressed. The one in Jon's video is originally from their Instagram page. And totally right on not being a 4 seater (SQ4), it's the SQ12 (Piper 12 variant) which I don't think they do anymore (just do the regular width like a PA-18 and the 4 seater BOSS (Bushmaster/Super Pacer). Anyways here's the original with a bunch of other cool stuff on their page. https://www.instagram.com/p/BpXSiZdg...n_native_share

8. The Following User Says Thank You to briankirk725 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 28, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by briankirk725 View Post
    You're not kidding on eyes for details! Very impressed. The one in Jon's video is originally from their Instagram page. And totally right on not being a 4 seater (SQ4), it's the SQ12 (Piper 12 variant) which I don't think they do anymore (just do the regular width like a PA-18 and the 4 seater BOSS (Bushmaster/Super Pacer). Anyways here's the original with a bunch of other cool stuff on their page. https://www.instagram.com/p/BpXSiZdg...n_native_share
    Oh My, that was Great Briankirk725! Quite the rabbit hole this morning and his instagram main page is a treasure trove of shots and posts...I loved one of the posts that said..."That doesn't look like a helicopter". LOL The shot of the Glacier fly by was stunning and my favorite.

Looks to me that the SQ12 has gone through many a iterations including the rudder designs. Continual tweaking, some minor, some more substantial, all in that mode of finding the right combo in a EAA cutting edge quest for perfection...but the flying of it and joy of the journey's and sights with the camaraderie of those cutting that edge is what it's about to me.

Found this interview with Wayne Mackey on the EAA site. Inspiration for those interested and in the spirit of HMT! Watch his expressions...worth the few minutes to learn a little of what goes on with STOL and experimental aircraft.

Valdez: Wayne Mackey’s Stolquest - News & Features - EAA Video

Briankirk725, welcome to HMT. Looking forward to more of your posts, interests and builds. Most of all thanks for making my day and learning some new cool stuff, I enjoy learning about...but now I have Sooo many questions.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Piper cub? Maybe modded a little for this kind of stuff. Also, like many aviation GIFs, probably perfect wind in this one.
    Hi Jon & thanks again. I mentioned flying with magnets. Have you seen the cordless bungee jump.

Thanks
    Do a search for the Valdez Alaska STOL competition

This is the 2018 worlds record short landing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mi Tasol For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Not a STOL, but a spectacular approach! Queenstown, New Zealand. I probably would have diverted to another airport, but this is still awesome to see.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 14, 2019), high-side (Apr 11, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 10, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 11, 2019), Tonyg (Apr 11, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    That's a situation where you have to trust the controller and have faith in your instruments
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information