Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: airplane short takeoff/landing records

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

airplane short takeoff/landing records

I remember watching Alaskan videos of Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL) when I was doing my private pilot training. Hey, I thought, that'll be me real soon. My instructor had a good chuckle at that one.

STOL is, by no surprise, a great tradition among Alaskan bush pilots. First of all, Alaska has six times as many pilots per capita as the US average. Second, the terrain provides many opportunities for skilled pilots to land and take off in limited but remote and beautiful locations. Finally, it offers something highly valued among all pilots: bragging rights.

Here's a 2016 highlights video from a famous yearly air show in Valdez, Alaska that hosts a legendary STOL contest. Go straight to 1:40 if you want to see the winner of the experimental bush plane class.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Feb 28, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 12, 2017), Paul Jones (May 22, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 14, 2018), PJs (Sep 30, 2016), rctoywizard (Oct 2, 2016), Resident114 (Jan 8, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019), volodar (Jan 7, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Certainly the outsize tires add weight, but leverage at the same time. Trick seems to be 'pop a wheelie' except rear wheels first! At first frames before TO figured large diameter tires were to increase incidence and of course for unimproved runways. Then the tail-dragger bounced off tail wheel. Big surprise. Cold weather, high latitudes, and a little nerve don't alter physics.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Most impressive Jon, didn't know about the STOL show up there but been away from good pilot stuff since Dad passed...may be on my bucket list now. Miss it too.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 22, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 8, 2020), philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 14, 2018), PJs (May 15, 2018), saintrain (Nov 18, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    touch down to wheel stop in less than the length of the plane. Impressive
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    That's what I would call Stickin' a landing!

Since this has come around again I'll share the best STOL I ever saw. It's an excerpt from a letter I wrote to the Thunderbirds after Dad's passing in 07'. Our family has a long history with the Thunderbirds back to 58' in Germany...

"In 65’ Dad went to Viet Nam to fly 123’s over there. He never talked much about it but know he got 14
    oak leafs and did a bunch of short take off and landing stuff. When he came home in 66’ I kept asking
    him how the flying was over there and all he would say was 15-18hr days and a couple of stories about
    banana leaves in the landing gear. The year he got back he was ask to fly a simulated assault at the
    memorial day show at Hamilton. That was the day I got to see how my dad the PILOT could really fly.

He took that 40,000lb butterfly, tipped the nose up till the cargo door was level and 6’ off the runway then
    squatted her in about 300 yards. The crew rolled out 10,000lbs of fuel in about a minute and a half and as
    the last pallet came off dad was cranking her around and pouring on the coal. The cargo door just closed
    as the nose wheel came off the ground and the same tail level thing on take off. The crowd groaned with
    amazement and I remember the people next to us saying something about Who is that Pilot?…I said,
    pretty loud…That’s MY Dad! Mom grinned and a bunch of people smiled and clapped. Even my little
    brother cracked up. One of my most Proud and cherished memories…I knew then what Dad did in Nam,
    only on bad runways and bad weather with people shooting at him."

I wrote the letter while I was making Dad's memorial video and mentioned in the letter my wife and I would be at the Mather show shortly after because I needed to see them once again and some "Precisionist" flying again. After the show I got to meet with them again and when I walked up to the commander and stuck out my hand and said, Hi I'm Patrick...he took my handshake looked me in the eye and all he said was, did you like our missing man! I had created a missing man from pics on their website for his video ending. Obviously lost it for a minute then he introduced me to the rest of the crew...kind of blur now but they signed my hat and saw my F100 pin given to me 50 years ago, by one of the first Thunderbird commanders in Germany at the O'club the night of their show. Why I got the pin is a whole other story.

Here is the picture of my hat with my F100 pin, the signatures of the crew and a 07' "Ambassador's in Blue" medallion from the show. It hangs on a hook in our bedroom next to the Wright Flyer model (which actually flies) I built many years ago.

airplane short takeoff/landing records-jzvhsnj.jpg

Thanks Jon!

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; May 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Mark Twain

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 15, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 8, 2020), Jon (May 16, 2018), MIGuy (Mar 8, 2019), Paul Jones (May 22, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 14, 2018), retired-sar (May 20, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    PJs,

Great story about your dad and thank you for sharing with us.

Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 22, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    PJs,

Great story about your dad and thank you for sharing with us.

Paul
    Thank you Paul,

I sometimes think it's good to share those stories in honor of unsung people for how they lived and how they impact our lives so others may perhaps find a light.

PJ
    Mark Twain

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 22, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 14, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 23, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 14, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    That's one way to gain airspeed! Yeesh!...package check, hold on tight boys!
    Mark Twain

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 5, 2018)

Thread Information