Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another laser finder.

Thanks

Responsible's Tools
    Hi Tony

It was a link that I had found from a discussion on Practical Machinist. It wasn't clear who owned it, and I didn't dig too far to find out. Gelbart had replied a few times in the thread.

The discussion is here: Laser Centering Jig for Deckel using Dan Gelbart's concept

Pete

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Responsible View Post
    Hi Tony

It was a link that I had found from a discussion on Practical Machinist. It wasn't clear who owned it, and I didn't dig too far to find out. Gelbart had replied a few times in the thread.

The discussion is here: Laser Centering Jig for Deckel using Dan Gelbart's concept

Pete
    That forum thread is an excellent example of what is so good about this HMT forum. Although I had long forgotten seeing that thread over on PM, it shows that I actually made a post there some years ago. It is so sad to see the number of posts there (PM) that were so critical of an idea by those who had never tried it. I have never seen those sort of unjustified and unknowledgable comments here on HMT forum, where the tone is always one of mutual help. Even when a criticism is made here it is in the spirit of assistance.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    It has been a long time since I saw Dan Gelbart's video which I referenced above. Last night I revisited it but was very disappointed. The video that I recall had a lot more detail showing him aligning bearing bores and a lot of other stuff with the laser centre finder. So either I am inventing memories, the video has been edited or there is another video there which I couldn't find last night.
    Anyway I still recommend Gelbart's videos for forum members viewing.
    Another excellent YouTube channel is Don Bailey at Surburban Tool.
    Tony, I agree - Dan Gelbart is a font of knowledge.
    Your ingenious clamping arrangement is an improvement over the original.
    When I made my own version out of Nylon block. I used the centrifugal effect to act as an 'on' switch so that I didn't forget to switch it off after each use.
    I arranged for a narrow strip of brass shim, with one end folded over a few times to increase mass, to move outwards and make contact with one pole of the power source and so complete the circuit soon after the mill began rotating.
    I also used a Silver Oxide button cell on the opposite side of the laser to achieve better balance.

Regards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gog32 For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Feb 11, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gog32 View Post
    When I made my own version out of Nylon block. I used the centrifugal effect to act as an 'on' switch so that I didn't forget to switch it off after each use.
    I arranged for a narrow strip of brass shim, with one end folded over a few times to increase mass, to move outwards and make contact with one pole of the power source and so complete the circuit soon after the mill began rotating.
    Brilliant, I love it.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools

Mistake fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Gog32 View Post
    Tony,
    Your ingenious clamping arrangement is an improvement over the original.
    Well I am a bit disappointed that nobody spotted my "deliberate" mistake with the clamp. As displayed in my original post and as I first made it, there were 4 points of contact, but of course that never works correctly. Only 3 points will be gripping properly, the fourth will be either not even be touching or gripping with minimal force. I am usually very conscious of these things and I don't understand how I made that mistake. It just isn't like me. In practice it worked fine but the purist in me wouldn't let it drop until I fixed it

Here are a couple of comparison pix. This was courtesy of Photoshop but I plan to use JB weld to achieve the same thing.

Another laser finder.-laserfinder054.jpg Click thumbnail for full size.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Well I am a bit disappointed that nobody spotted my "deliberate" mistake with the clamp. As displayed in my original post and as I first made it, there were 4 points of contact, but of course that never works correctly. Only 3 points will be gripping properly, the fourth will be either not even touching or gripping with minimal force. I am usually very conscious of these things and I don't understand how I made that mistake. It just isn't like me. In practice it worked fine but the purist in me wouldn't let it drop until I fixed it

Here are a couple of comparison pix. This was courtesy of Photoshop but I used JB weld to achieve the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaserFinder054.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	22093 Click thumbnail for full size.
    Tony,
    No need to beat yourself up for overlooking the clamping arrangement. Like most folk you probably wanted to get on and finish it to see how it worked.
    c'set la vie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Actually Tony I did wonder about the 4 point contact on the original post but did not want criticize. I also thought about the fix and I would have probably put a through bolt to give the third contact. Never mind you fixed it, like I said before posting mistakes and fixes can be useful to others.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Actually Tony I did wonder about the 4 point contact on the original post but did not want criticize. I also thought about the fix and I would have probably put a through bolt to give the third contact. Never mind you fixed it, like I said before posting mistakes and fixes can be useful to others.
    To criticise when justified is fine by me. I did think about using a bolt as you mention but the JB weld seemed like a nicer solution. Either would work, I did also think of welding but I knew that would pull the ends in.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 11, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 11, 2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    This is one of the greatest DIY projects I've seen last time connected with lasers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hstrclnr For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jan 29, 2019)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hstrclnr View Post
    This is one of the greatest DIY projects I've seen last time connected with lasers
    Thanks, glad that you like it.

Thread Information