Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anvil stand

Thanks

rendoman's Tools

Anvil stand

Hi all
    I found today this anvil, about 150kg. I have to clean from dirt and maybe wash with gasoline?
    I'm thinking about where to put it, I got no space now, and a wood belted stock could be not practical to move.
    My idea is to build a sort of minitable , maybe useful to collect grinders and other tools. 50x50mm tubular, with central column and retractables wheels, what do you think about?

Anvil stand-dsc00922_1600x1200.jpg Anvil stand-dsc00923_1600x1200.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    The best way I know of is to strap the Anvil down to a very large block of wood. That is the way I have seen it done. You need to deaden the vibrations of the striking hammer blows to take best use of the the Anvil and its density. You could build a pipe stand with 3 to 4 inch diameter x 1/4 inch thick pipe walls for legs and a 1/2 inch plate of steel. As long you would fill the legs with concrete that may deaden the vibration some. Depending on the hight use 2 to 3 inch pipe to build the cross members to keep the legs from collapsing side to side.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick J Lombardi For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 23, 2016)

Thanks

tekcraft's Tools
    Anvil stand-floor2.jpg

The steel cart sounds like a good idea. I would use casters with urethane on the wheel to keep the noise and vibration down, and a floor lock like the ones in the attached image to keep it from moving around.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tekcraft For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 23, 2016)

Thanks
    I would stick with timber. I use a tree trunk on retractable wheels. Avoid putting on a bench with other tools because of vibration and differing tool height needs. Have fun.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Glueman2 For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 23, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thank you all!
    Maybe a damping material like wood or urethane it's the right choice! It can be also good the idea of a tree trunk with retractable wheels, maybe a steel belt with 3 wheels attached on threaded rods... I have to find a good wood!

Thanks
    I see you are in Italy so I am not familiar with the local timbers. I used a chunk of eucalypt (I live in Australia). Choose a good close grained timber. A useful resource is The Wood Database. It is based in the USA but has good info. To plane the ends flat and parallel there is a good design on Instructables for a router jig.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Glueman2 For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Randoman,
    You can do both, a steel base and thick wood platform to anchor the anvil to. I agree with Nick about filling the base legs with something, concrete, sand, steel shot, lead, the heavier the better to keep it stationary. I would not have wheels that stay down, as you will find yourself chasing the anvil around your shop. Try 2 wheels and a removable handle on the other side, lift wheels touch, you move and set it back down no rolling around.
    Just a couple of suggestions, let us know how it comes out.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr fixit For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    rendoman;
    I tend away from the mini-table. Even when the anvil flat is above other equipment, once parts curve a table top will interfere. Dampening [more correctly eliminating] vibration and resonance is going to benefit by avoiding incomplete metallic contact with the anvil itself. If using a tube pedestal, I'll respectfully offer rammed sand instead of cement, as the latter will absorb moisture, harden and shrink away from the walls. I think the strapping we see anvils anchored to trunks with is likely iron, tightly stretched to bind not just retain. Compressing leather, high hysteresis rubber [tire sidewall], or epoxy compound between anvil and strap seems logical. Run lag screws in an acute angle to strap after forming them, generating a lot of tension in the strap. You have a mill; maybe cut 2 pair of wedges to drive under anvil feet. Because you certainly will need to move it occasionally, non-swivel casters are a great idea, mounted to contact when the whole rig is tilted back. The anvil or removable length of pipe will make a good handle if wheels are perpendicular to the length of it.
    Before forging away.....have one of those tiny drill bits handy if you know what I mean.
    You're going to get a lot of satisfaction from this new way to change the form and structure of materials, not to include fingers and thumbs!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 24, 2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: terminology corrections
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Jul 24, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Before forging away.....have one of those tiny drill bits handy if you know what I mean.
    You're going to get a lot of satisfaction from this new way to change the form and structure of materials, not to include fingers and thumbs!
    Thanks for advice! Now I got a small drill in alcol bottle and some steril Needles ready to use! ( But I hope I will not need! )
    I build anvil support as soon as I finished few other things, and maybe a new White painting on wall, because I'm loosing light.
    I will ask a friend who use wood how to find here a good large stump (maybe oak?) and then an essential support for retractable wheel. For now I feel it's the faster and traditional way!

Little ot question, right to have an idea, If I would build a small forge, for example for pocket knife, what do you recommend?

Thanks
    Hi,
    See link for the design I used.
    I added wheels and it works fine.
    I've also used a solid block of wood (tree stump), in the past and this was also ok.

How to build a Rustic Anvil Stand - Anvils - I Forge Iron

Good luck
    Rob

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Butterworth-smythe For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Sep 25, 2016), PJs (Jul 25, 2016), rendoman (Jul 25, 2016), voodoo59 (Aug 3, 2016)

Thread Information