Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Articulating Drill Press table extension.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools

Articulating Drill Press table extension.

Articulating Drill Press table extension. This drill press has an extending/rotating head on it, and is the reason for the table extension. Made from 2 inch square tubing 1/4x1 1/4 inch tubing cut to size on the band saw and lathe. Shop Fox drill press.
    The slit I made is hard to tighten, but it works I will increase the slit for less tension before I paint it.

I did not use the angle brackets as shown I made two 1/4 inch rectangle and rounded on each end, which I welded to the square tubing
    on either side to hold the 3/8 threaded bolt to be changed out later for a wiggly giggly handle.

Articulating Drill Press table extension.-012.jpgArticulating Drill Press table extension.-013.jpgArticulating Drill Press table extension.-006.jpgArticulating Drill Press table extension.-004.jpgArticulating Drill Press table extension.-005.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Sep 3, 2022), nova_robotics (Oct 15, 2020), olderdan (Jan 2, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 4, 2018), Peter Sanders (Jan 1, 2018), PJs (May 14, 2018), Rangi (May 15, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 1, 2018), thoms_here (Jan 1, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    I like this idea.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    hello Peter Sanders. Make one for your self also you can ask to be my friend.
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Jan 5, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Hi Lee Ward (?)

Yes, it's now on the to do list, (to make list?). The list is long though, too many good items like yours

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Captainleeward! We've added your Articulating Drill Press Table Extension to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Captainleeward's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Great idea!
    I’m not seeing how the middle joint locks to prevent movement. How is that done?

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi Bloom-Chicago the middle joint has a locking handle but it is on the other side in these photos. also you can be my friend check it out.
    here you can see the handle. :O)
    Articulating Drill Press table extension.-005.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Articulating Drill Press table extension.-004.jpg  
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Jan 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

JoeVanGeaux (Jun 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Great project! I have that very same drill press... fairly recently, that is, and still getting to know it.

You even managed to match the paint! Can you specify that for me, please? (You know, in case I need to cover-up any mods that go wrong or right, for that matter!)

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hello JoeVanGeaux, Well I got pretty close but really by accident, really does it matter if you get a paint a few shades off it still looks new. Thanks for the shout out. I bought the paint from home depot fridge enamel lite yellow.
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainleeward View Post
    Hello JoeVanGeaux, Well I got pretty close but really by accident, really does it matter if you get a paint a few shades off it still looks new. Thanks for the shout out. I bought the paint from home depot fridge enamel lite yellow.
    Of course it doesn't REALLY matter, but those details make me feel more accomplished sometimes. I recently did some touch-up painting on my Lincoln AC/DC welder using a rattle can of red paint that matched so very close you could blame the difference on the shadows and reflections off of nearby objects.

Your post inspired me to try a post of of my own ... but after checking this site beforehand, wouldn't you know it, you did another project just like what I did for a router table (an accessory on my Ryobi BT3100 table saw) - those wood blocks under your drill press table to allow arbitrary positioning of clamps, which is now going to be one of the next projects for my drill press. Thanks, again!

Carry on!!

Thread Information