Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Augmented reality underground utility viewer - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Augmented reality underground utility viewer - GIF

Augmented reality underground utility viewer. Uses data from utility records (so it's not "detecting" the presence of any buried utilities). Still not as reliable as a field test, but excellent use of this technology.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 23, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 23, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Creating a 3d cad model of the underground utilities is very helpful for future installs or repairs but I would have to question the reliability of the accuracy of of previous data unless this data had been compiled from multiple sources IE original construction plans photos taken at time of construction soundings done by whatever means had been available when upgrades had been preformed
    Back in the early spring this year I had my electric service replaced from the transformer to the house they had to set 2 new poles. The only known underground utility in the area is the phone line The phone company came out and flagged the line. The electric company drilled just inside my fence for the first pole which is on my property not the road right of way or easement a full 10 feet from the flag line 24" down they snagged an auger full of cable. Phone company came out, no records several phone calls later, it turned out to be a line that used to cross to the back of my property where there used to be a house located back in the woods, it was in direct alignment with an old connection tower on the other side of the road.
    They set the 2nd pole about 5 feet from my septic tank and lateral line Must have asked me 4 times if I was absolutely sure where the system was located so I pulled up pictures on my laptop and showed them a 2 year old excavation fo when I had to do some repairs to finally satisfy them.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 23, 2018)

Thread Information