Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Backhoe log splitter

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Backhoe log splitter

My neighbor came up with a unique idea for a log splitter. The other day while visiting , he and I were discussing ways to built a cheap way to split logs. I have some I beam and hydraulic cylinders, pumps and valves. He said that he has a couple of 12 Hp gas engines that run so why not build ourselves a log splitter. Well we got to thinking about what we still needed to scrounge before starting it so I was going to see if I had any hoses and enough fittings. then later on this week we would start building it.
    He called me yesterday to say that he had come up with a log splitter already. What he had done was to add a fixed knife to his backhoe and just used the root grubber he had made instead o f the bucket.
    Here he is demonstrating how it works at first he was trying to do it by himself then I stepped in and operated the machine for him
    Later he will remove the grubber tines so he will be able to split logs without having to pick them up

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 15, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 7, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I like the laugh of Frank and friend "That does the job there!" at the ending. Looks like shorter tines would let it work at ground level, just roll the cutoffs in and Pop!. It's done.
    Now, where did I leave MY backhoe...?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tool Maker 51 It was comical to watch Billy roll those logs around. I told him when I first saw it that if he doesn't want to remove his tines I have a sheet of 1/2" T1 he is welcome to, to make new side plates without the tines. He said he knew the tines were going top be in the way but before he cut them off and made them bolt on he wanted to prove prof of concept
    Him and his wife split tha whole pile up today but he said she is nowhere as smooth at operating the machine as I was. She almost got his hand several times and he said he felt like he had to run for his life each time she powered down on it.SO the tines come off and the plates get drilled to bolt them back on tomorrow then he can run it by himself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 7, 2018)

Thanks
    I think the root grubbed should be stationary and the knife controlled by the hydraulic cylinder.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    If the grubber were stationary then it would be useless as a grub the only thing it would be then would be a rake limited by the action of the boom and stick movements.
    The whole Idea of a grub is to be able to curl around and under the roots then lift them out of the ground.
    As a log splitter with the fixed knife after he removes the tines having the square surface of the grub he will be able to pull the logs to him just as he was able to do in the video with the tines. the square face will insure he is able to easily square up the log for splitting. If the knife were the movable part then it would mean he would have to try and jockey a log into position to split using only the sharp edge if the knife Which would allow for a log to twist sideways before being pulled into the grub bar.
    Hope this helps to explain the reasoning behind his making it this way.
    I voted it a cool build even though he is not on these forums hence the reason for being in tool talk instead of the homemade tools forum

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The wood is mulberry and still half green off of 1 limb which was ripped from the tree in June of 2017

Thanks
    I see a huge potential here, It just needs some refinement

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by David Schwartz View Post
    I see a huge potential here, It just needs some refinement
    Those were almost my exact words to my neighbor, but since he already had the root grub he thought why not spend a few minutes making a knife. He got the angle and geometry of the knife a little wrong. But he reported to me saying that since removing the tines it functions 100 times better. I should drive over there and make a new video if it in action since it is only a couple of miles by road little over half a mile through the woods. I could hear his chain saw today so he probably has more wood to split

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information