Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Barbed Wire Fence Unroller

Thanks

Imabass's Tools

Barbed Wire Fence Unroller

I built this a few months ago. I have modified it from the one in the video by adding 2 additional arms so I can unroll all 6 wires on my fence at once. Each roller is adjustable to accommodate all the standard rolls of wire. This worked great as I was able to unroll all the wires at once and keep them from tangling up. I have tons of fencing to redo and this will be an amazing time saver. It is really doable as a one man team and really speeds up the process.

Basic materials list:
    1' of 2x2 square tubing for the receive tube mount.
    4' of 2-3/8 oil field pipe for the main mast.
    6- 6" pieces of 2-7/8 oil field pipe to swivel around the 2-3/8 pipe.
    6- 14" pieces of 1x1.5 tubing for the swing arms. These are welded to the 2/7-8 swivels.
    6- 12" pieces of 1" round tubing for the rolls of wire to rotate on.
    6- 1" fender washers. I added these from the video posted. These are welded about 2" above the arms and the rolls of wire rest on them.

This was mostly all scrap metal that I had laying around.

There are some wire roller trailers out there that sell for $150ish and only unroll 1 strand at a time. I don't have that kind of spare time to use something like that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 7, 2015), kbalch (Dec 7, 2015), Leprechaun (Dec 8, 2015), MetalDesigner (Dec 9, 2015), Paul Jones (Dec 8, 2015), PJs (Dec 8, 2015), Ralphxyz (Jan 11, 2024), Scotsman Hosie (May 4, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Imabass! We've added your Fence Wire Unroller to our Farm and Garden category, as well as to your builder page: Imabass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    So, no drag is necessary to keep the wires taught, straight, and untangled? That's almost too easy!

Thanks

bmaverick's Tools
    Thanks a BIG bunch.

I only joined the forum here because of the DIY homesteading ideas and DIY tractor ideas.

Not only does your neat assist work for barb-wires, I'm hoping to do a hot-wire as well. Thanks so much again for the insight vs. having to buy a Tractor Supply 1-spool at a fortune cost!

I'm without a welder, nor do I know how to weld. Had a choice in HS for welding or wood shop. I took the wood shop class. Anyways, The box-blade on my Yanmar with thick walled PVC could do the job too. Thanks for the inspiration!

BTW, please add much more to the Farm ideas here. I'll be looking too. Hopefully I can add an idea as well.
    Last edited by bmaverick; Dec 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    So, no drag is necessary to keep the wires taught, straight, and untangled? That's almost too easy!
    Not the way I hung the fence. I let the small tractor go along in 1st gear. I walked behind and would lightly attach the wires with the clips every other T post. At the end of the fence, I would stop the tractor and cut one wire at a time and stretch that wire before cutting the next. After all the wires are stretched, I would go back and install the rest of the clips as well as tighten the ones that were originally loosely attached.

This cut hours from the normal process and saved tons of walking back and fourth. I subsequently added 2 additional spools and I do 6 wires at a time now. This video was only 4. Hooking it up via 3 point also allows you to raise and lower the unroller to the appropriate height for the fence posts.
    Why buy it if you can build it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 11, 2015), Scotsman Hosie (May 4, 2019)

Thanks
    Hi Imabass,

Very clever and useful! Your Fence Wire Unroller is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Barbed Wire Fence Unroller-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Barbed Wire Fence Unroller-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Barbed Wire Fence Unroller-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Barbed Wire Fence Unroller-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have your size, color choice, and mailing address (via PM) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 11, 2015)

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Wow. This is great. Thanks for the recognition. It is tough to come up with original ideas sometimes.

I made a list of 14 more homemade tools that I can think of in my shop that I will get posted when I can.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

gene55 (Sep 8, 2022), Jon (Dec 11, 2015), PJs (Dec 11, 2015)

Thanks
    I know this is an older post, but I write for Farm Show magazine (www.farmshow.com) and would like to talk to you about this for an article on your fence wire unroller. Please email me at dee_goerge@yahoo.com Thanks, Dee

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Thanks Dee. I look forward to seeing the article in the magazine.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Nice work Dee. Farm Show is one of the very few publications we would ever allow in here, and is actually a great source for homemade tool ideas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information