Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Base for a Milwaukee handheld

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Base for a Milwaukee handheld

My Milwaukee version of the Dremel hand tool, which I first discussed here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/dremel-fan-34122

has a number of advantages over the available Dremels but one of them is not weight. It's too heavy and rotund to be held like a pencil so in many cases it's better to bring the work to the tool rather than vice versa. Laying the tool on the bench doesn't work well; its round shape means it wants to roll about.

I decided to make a base for it that would make it stable when laid on the bench. A steel cradle with an integral large hose clamp was screwed to a chunk of 2 x 4 and strapped onto the Milwaukee as shown. Now it sits stably at a convenient working height as shown here..

The tool is heavy enough that work requiring only light pressure (e.g. sanding small pieces) can be done without further ado. Heavier work requires an addition described below.

The fact that the Milwaukee has its rather heavy battery at the rear of the tool allows the assembly to be tipped up as shown here...

This makes it easy to work facing the business end of the tool in the chuck, an arrangement that's almost impossible if the tool were handheld. If the weight of the battery isn't enough in this position, or the horizontal mode mentioned above, applying a shot-filled bean bag, as discussed here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/bean-bag-shop-64835

will make things a great deal more stable.

For even greater stability and an almost limitless variety of working positions, attaching a Panavise with a universal base to a bench hook yields a system that is a joy to use...

In the spirit of full disclosure, the device that holds the tool to the 2 x 4 was not made by me; it's an ancient commercial device meant to hold an electric drill motor. My contribution was putting the elements together to solve a problem and make a useful tool even more useful. I think that imagining how to combine existing tools to make even more useful assemblages is a tool in its own right and so this belongs on the forum.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 9, 2020), DIYer (Sep 27, 2018), Frank S (Sep 24, 2018), Jon (Sep 24, 2018), Paul Jones (Sep 28, 2018), PJs (Sep 25, 2018), ranald (Sep 24, 2018), rossbotics (Sep 25, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 24, 2018), Tule (Sep 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I totally Agree Marv, these Dremel style tools while very handy are often cumbersome when needing to work on something small. I like my flex shaft grinders much better but the shaft is often restrictive I have a couple of the micro dremels that just drive me crazy at times.
    What I would really like to get my hands on is a good set of used dentistry drills for the times when I need to do small work.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Sep 25, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Great stuff Marv.
    Funny, for many years I used a B & D Workmate as a vice to hold a drill & 4" Makita belt sander & 3" Makita planer (had to remove the shavings bag) & on occassions a 4" grinder(my original Towa was too tapered but a later model was more cylindrical sided) so they were more adaptable:almost like free standing machines. The wooden jaws were strong enough to hold with out tool damage: just have to watch the air vents.
    I tried a similar system to yours for a 3 wheeled 1" sander. The wheels were skate board ones but alas the wooden frame flexed too much and the belt would run off despite the adjustment wheel. Probably would have worked with a RHS steel frame.
    Your system allows angling the tool better. sounds fishy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,836 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I totally Agree Marv, these Dremel style tools while very handy are often cumbersome when needing to work on something small. I like my flex shaft grinders much better but the shaft is often restrictive I have a couple of the micro dremels that just drive me crazy at times.
    What I would really like to get my hands on is a good set of used dentistry drills for the times when I need to do small work.
    I have set of dentistry drills and grinding points.
    I bought them from military surplus store. Its amazing what you can find there. ��

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have found many dentistry drills online but there are some things that I insist ongoing the touchy feely route. A couple of years ago there was a complete 5 chair dental surgery at an auction I attended but the lots were grouped in such way that there was no way I was going to bid on anything,
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Having the tool pointing at you allows you to hold the work with both hands while resting the forearms on the work table. It's hard to imagine a more stable configuration for miniature, handheld work. This, combined with the fact that you're manipulating the (usually) lighter workpiece rather than the much heavier tool provides the maximum in control.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Frank, here is an Ebay set and many others available there for <$ than a small Foredom handpieces like the H.28 & H.8. Also Carbide Circuit Board drills come in all size and most available on Amazon for good prices down to about .5mm (although likely to "Bink" when used by hand) they are a great inexpensive choice for small stuff.

Marv, Great idea and easy to build...a great combo...and in a Panavise...priceless!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Rotary Tool Base to our Rotary Tools category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Great set up, I'll be making one.

I have the same M12 "dremel", (to be honest I have basically every M12 tool made and have recently started my M18 kit)...what is the white plastic fan looking part behind the collet?

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Great set up, I'll be making one.

I have the same M12 "dremel", (to be honest I have basically every M12 tool made and have recently started my M18 kit)...what is the white plastic fan looking part behind the collet?
    It is indeed a homemade fan. The full story is here...

Dremel fan

Although I have the equipment to make gears, I used the TLAR approach to make the fan. Any minor unbalance in the 1" diameter device isn't going to be a problem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information