Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery pack opening method with Dremel rotary tool.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The Dremel was always something I used for bench work so the Foredom is perfect for me. I'd made an overhead arm for the tool balancer that I put on my 5" grinder so the Foredom just hangs next to it. I was loaded for bear with those two hanging and my bench mount die grinder set up on the same bench. I probably won't need the 5" grinder for detail sanding once the angle head and flap disks for the Foredom show up.

The foot pedal seemed the weak spot going in. I knew with use I'd get used to it, but letting off to stop isn't always intuitive for me when some thing goes wrong. So any router speed control can work with any model Foredom? They say that only certain speed controls can work with specific models. And the full-off-variable would be what I'd want too.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 26, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    The foot pedal seemed the weak spot going in. I knew with use I'd get used to it, but letting off to stop isn't always intuitive for me when some thing goes wrong. So any router speed control can work with any model Foredom? They say that only certain speed controls can work with specific models. And the full-off-variable would be what I'd want too.
    I can't say positively but I expect that it's probably true. My Rockler speed controller claims 26 amp capacity so it's certainly got the necessary oomph. Assuming Foredom didn't change its motor design somewhere along the line, everything should be ok.

Foredom sells its own version of a stationary speed control...

https://www.amazon.com/CONTROL-FLEXS...+speed+control

but it's pricey and doesn't have the three position switch.

A 15 amp router speed control...

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9400-Sta...+speed+control

costs half as much and has the switch.

For a little more money you can get 20 amp capability...

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-...+speed+control

but I doubt you need it. That small Foredom motor won't draw anything like a router will.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 26, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    A 15 amp router speed control...

https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9400-Sta...+speed+control

costs half as much and has the switch.
    I own the MLCS-9400 and can attest to it quality/price point. I got if to control the SPF of my little HFT 1x30" belt sander when using it on acrylic or thin metal...it would burn quickly because of the speed, depending on the grit of course. I can lower the speed considerably with it but it does lose torque considerably below half speed. There is a trim pot adjustment for torque but didn't find it helped much at all.

Luckily it was enough for acrylic. The other nice feature is the center off toggle which gives you Variable-off-full power. Price has gone up a few bucks since I got it but works for the money and my needs.

I have many of those EZ lock wheels for my Dremel and the ones for plastic do work quite well even up to 1/2" acrylic or schedule 80pvc. Finally picked up the diamond one...Very Pricey...hope it holds up to carbide for that kind of doh!

Gasoline...Interesting.

Nice thread going on here...good useful info. Thanks Toumas good tip on the battery packs!! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Thanks for the info Marv and PJs. It's definitely on the list now. One more question in that link there is a laser photo tach that is referenced as something people buy together. Do either of you guys have one? There's been several times where I wondered what something was turning at and with these variable devices it seems to be handy thing.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    I have a nearly identical counter (NEIKO brand name) and it works very well. It comes with reflective tape; you stick a bit to the rotating entity and aim the counter at it. For devices with chucks (lathes, mills, drills), I turned a 1/4" shaft on a small piece of steel and stuck the tape to that. Easier and I don't waste tape.

When I bought it I tested it against my home built electro-mechanical tach, described here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/e...chometer-32232

With a quality counter attached, this home built marvel has essentially zero error - call it +/- 1 rpm.

I don't remember the details now but I was impressed with how accurate the NEIKO counter was.

If you buy one, use it to check the speed charts on your lathe and mill. I was surprised to see just how far off they were.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 26, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Thanks Marv! I'm on it. Even though this stuff is a drain on the pocket book I'm all about doing it smarter, not harder.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    C-Bag, I own the one in the Add-On link and its been fine for me. I believe it is pretty accurate as tested on known motor speeds but have no other kind of tach except an old friction wheel and needle type used in model air planes to compare it to. Use it all the time on lots of things including the lathe and the 1x30" belt sander for RPM/SPF...and a ton of other stuff. Even used it to figure out the hand crank speed I needed for the Music Box for my grandson. Used it on the 1.5v motor to get the speed then figured my gear ratio to be 30:1 to make it sound right when driven. Comes with a lot of tape but not always necessary and have only changed the battery once since 11/27/2012. Also just used it on the motor I found for my Lapping machine and all along the gear train it had on it to see if I could salvage some of the gearing to get what speed I want.

Close enough for my stuff but Marv's Neiko is "Marv tested & approved"...gotta be good. Probably worth the extra bucks, IMHO.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Thanks Marv! I'm on it. Even though this stuff is a drain on the pocket book I'm all about doing it smarter, not harder.
    To quote my investment counselor, "Spend it now or your kids will!"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information