Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beautiful spiral shaving drill machining - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I do not think you can make a blanket statement that chips are longer as things heat up. Chip creation is dependent on too many variables to say that.

Actually, this video does not start at the beginning, so there were lots of chips made before the clip started. By my count, there were about 3 small chips made between 0 and 3 sec, 3 chips between 3 and 12 seconds, then 3 more between 12 and 15 when the clip ended. The long ones blued up while still attached, but the first 3-4 spirals are still base color. You can bet that the little once blued also after they fell into the chip tray.

Under ideal conditions, all of the chips created would be the same. The difference in chips can be caused by many factors, most common among them are; lack or machine or tooling stiffness, incorrect tool geometry, imperfections in the material being machined, built up edge on the cutting tool forming then breaking away.

When you look closely at the finished surface, you can see variations, most likely caused by one of the factors above. From this evidence I would say this is a good set-up, perhaps very adequate for whatever is being done, but it is not yet OPTIMAL!!!!

This video regarding BUE (Built Up Edge) has always fascinated me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Ralphxyz (Jun 13, 2022), Seedtick (Jun 14, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 13, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Beautiful spiral shaving drill machining.
    Post 1, appears to be 356 cast aluminum.

hemmjo's ISCAR video is spectacular; watching a good set-up is one thing, that a user could examine directly after; it would take longer than what video proves.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 13, 2022 at 03:14 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information