Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bell Ropes

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Darn! I saw the ship's bell photo in the daily email and, straight away, assumed it was going to be an example of metal spinning with some really thick marine brass.

But the rope pull is cool, too, Boats. I mean, shot line would've been more authenticker, of course. But where you gonna get shot line in this day and age?

Underway Replenishment station for four hours at a time, right before the midwatch. Good times. Good times.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    . . . I think one of them is the foot "rope". Even after doing inshore & coastal in 1981, I simply cant remember.
    Very interesting for many of us "land lubbers". I used to be able( a long time ago) to splice & bind etc but your "stuff" is exceptional.
    The foot rope, which the French didn't use, hangs below a yardarm to stand on when reefing or unfurling square rigged sails. A "footrope" knot makes a nice topper knot to a key fob. For a real one, the line would have to be unraveled and then reraveled as the knots were ties.

Barefoot in the rigging going around the cape. I'd have never survived . . .

Ron

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shiseiji For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jul 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Clearly the monkey fist became too easy and you still had some cordage left.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information