Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Belt Grinder

Thanks

th62's Tools

Belt Grinder

Here's a belt grinder I made up, it takes 730x25 belts, which I chose because the grits available vary from 80 od to 1000. Originally the design was a three wheeler and there were two belts but the motor didn't have enough power to spin them, so I came up with this two wheel design. It's used for sharpening drills and lathe bits. When I come across a more powerful motor I'll ad another belt rub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belt Grinder-bg1.jpg   Belt Grinder-bg2.jpg   Belt Grinder-bg3.jpg   Belt Grinder-bg4.jpg   Belt Grinder-bg5.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Aug 12, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Jun 27, 2018), Captn Roy (Jun 27, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Jun 28, 2018), high-side (Oct 23, 2018), Home-PC (Aug 12, 2020), Jon (Jun 27, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jun 28, 2018), Moby Duck (Oct 24, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 30, 2018), PJs (Jun 30, 2018), rossbotics (Jun 28, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 27, 2018), volodar (Jun 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Excelente, felicidades. Me gustaría hacer uno parecido.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    Here's a belt grinder I made up, it takes 730x25 belts, which I chose because the grits available vary from 80 od to 1000. Originally the design was a three wheeler and there were two belts but the motor didn't have enough power to spin them, so I came up with this two wheel design. It's used for sharpening drills and lathe bits. When I come across a more powerful motor I'll ad another belt rub.
    WOW!! looks great!! but... ,my trusty old $30 unit works great,it would take me a lot more to make one like yours in time and supplies ( Im also getting slow and lazy in my old retired age)that I didnt already have than a new unit would cost.I also have a big old delta tool unit,( the real delta) I dont ever use it it take a long belt and too much room so it'a usualy in the corner covered up. Ive also got a wide belt unit thats been used very little. my favorite is the small $30 unit I think it's a 1x30" belt, Ive been through probably 50 belts...possiably 2x that over the 30 years Ive had it. I do like you work! and the time you took to do it. I do make most of my tooling, and things like yours is always great to see as I can sometymes work off of them,or get a different idea or brain storm on something Im fixen to make. my brother was a sears on the road tech for 20 years,he did about everything execpt for lawn equipment.mostly ac/ refrigeration but also appliances. you would be amazed what all you can make out of a washing machine. it has oh somany usable parts inside them. the main drive shaft is perfect for oh somany things as are many other parts in it. so if you have dead stuff befor recycling them see whats inside that you can use for your next project. cloths washer drive shafts, about 26" long, hard, chromed,about 5/8" .and straight. keep on making stuff for us all so we can make them or get ideas from them.!!! I have changed the idler bearings on my sander, car/truck timing belt&fan belt idlers are perfect for many things like that.many independent auto shops have a scrap pile full of stuff like that. and they have much better bearings than most everything else.
    also old by the side of the road exersize equipment....lots of good steel to be purposed.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks th62! We've added your Belt Grinder to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: th62's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Really like your long platen and the versatility of the table design and "stuff at hand" approach to the build. Nice Job th62, thanks for sharing with us!!

PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 30, 2018)

Thread Information