Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Belt grinder advices

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Just finished the electrical system
    I used a contactor with open and closed button, rated up to 4kw. I didn't think to put a safety mushroom, the buttons are close to working position.
    I want to make the buffing- polishing shaft, and maybe a rear rest with the size of the belt, in order to use the edge

Belt grinder advices-20707497_10213058892208805_1074240343_n.jpg Belt grinder advices-20727352_10213058897088927_1830005706_o.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    You can supplant a e-stop mushroom with a hinged paddle. Make large as you care to. I like them, to elbow the stop switch when both hands are manipulating a wide part.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017), rendoman (Aug 9, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    This one is turning out quite nicely. Regarding tensioning for belt sanders in general (not necessarily this one), I know people love repurposing treadmills for them - some of them have an incline motor (for simulating walking/running "uphill") that can be used for tensioning. In that case, you scavenge the treadmill's main motor for main power, the incline motor for tensioning, and the treadmill frame for your belt sander frame.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Aug 9, 2017)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'm modifying a part maybe intended for the same purpose, the original used a pulley for trapezoidal belt. I made with lathe only a wheel for the belt, kept in position with a grain, as the original place. Next thing to do a small frame, fast to detach for the long shaft already mounted on the sander.
    The shaft is good for 15 and 20mm cotton wheel, or other attachments

Belt grinder advices-dscn0112_1600x1200.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 18, 2017)

Supporting Member aphilipmarcou's Avatar
    Thanks

aphilipmarcou's Tools
    Hi Rendoman,
    It is looking good. The more versatile you can make it the better. Having lots of speeds means you can grind many materials.I made mine so that it could take a wide range of belt lengths because I had access to them. I also built in the ability to have four different speeds via pulley counter shaft, plus other speeds dependent on which wheel was the driver (on motor or driven shaft), and the diameter of the contact wheel(s).Be careful to have suitable bearings on small diameter idler / driven wheels because they can rotate at high speeds if the driving wheel is of comparatively big diameter. Is your platten adjustable against the back of the belt? You might like to get the book called "Coated Abrasives- Modern Tool of Industry" written by the Coated Abrasives Manufacturers Institute which gives technical details about belts and machines, basically all M stuff.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aphilipmarcou For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Aug 17, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Aug 20, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Grinders, grinders, and more grinders.
    I guess that I've never found one with too much power.
    the old blacksmith shop where I apprenticed had 3 old arbor grinders 1 had a little 3 Hp motor on it with 2" wide 14" inch diameter fine grit finishing wheels on it that was the one we used to sharpen small cultivator shears.
    One had a 10 Hp motor not real high speed but 4" by 20" coarse wheels would remove metal by the pound
    The last one had a 45 Hp 4 cylinder Wisconsin it had 2 belt driven arbors on it 1 was horizontal with a single 10 inch wide 20 inch diameter wire wheel the other arbor was vertical with a single 20 inch diameter cupped wheel. this was used for grinding shear blades
    One of my tasks was to keep all of the wheels dressed and true. In today's society I would no more trust a 12 or 13 year old young man with a diamond wheel dresser on a 1/2 hp 6" grinder let alone have him anywhere near those monsters. but I used them almost daily.
    I like the OP's idea for a 1 1/5 Hp 2800 RPM motor fora belt sander/ grinder I would probably go with a 3.5 or 4" diameter 8 grove serpentine pulley to a 1.5" or possibly 2" driven arbor to power the flat drive sanding belt pulley make it changeable from about 4" in diameter to 6" in diameter
    1 1/5 Hp will be a little on the small side in my opinion for a belt wider than 4 inches though and nowhere near enough for a disc much larger than 8"
    My Delta 12" disc & 6 by 48" belt sander had a 3 HP 2800 RPM motor with a 3.5" pulley and the arbor had a 2" pulley it did a fine job but could be bogged down
    The amount of power you need varies with what you are doing. In the case of the original poster I'm not sure 1.5 HP will be enough. Those long wide belts can grind with an incredible hunger, so I would be concerned that 1.5 HP isn't enough to get the full monty so to speak out of the belt. Of course if you are doing fine finishing work on a knife or something you don't need that much power.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 18, 2017), rendoman (Aug 18, 2017)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Small frame for polishing, recycled parts

Belt grinder advices-dscn0110_1600x1200.jpg Belt grinder advices-dscn0112_1600x1200.jpg

Belt grinder advices-dscn0113_1600x1200.jpg Belt grinder advices-dscn0114_1600x1200.jpg

Supporting Member aphilipmarcou's Avatar
    Thanks

aphilipmarcou's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    The amount of power you need varies with what you are doing. In the case of the original poster I'm not sure 1.5 HP will be enough. Those long wide belts can grind with an incredible hunger, so I would be concerned that 1.5 HP isn't enough to get the full monty so to speak out of the belt. Of course if you are doing fine finishing work on a knife or something you don't need that much power.
    Yep, interesting to note that the rule of thumb as per the handbook from 3M is "one horse per inch of belt width" which seems like over kill until you see the rate at which these belts eat metal when there is enough pressure on them...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aphilipmarcou For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 18, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Aug 20, 2017)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Just finished the polishing attachment.
    The belt run strainght with no trouble, the shaft for cotton wheel is 15mm with 20mm bushing, left threaded.

Now I have to buy wheels and pastes. Have you any advice?
    I only have White paste, I think I need one wheel for each color of paste, right?
    I want to polish aluminum and brass.
    I think I need : light blue, pink and brown. There is also a green for stainless, but I don't know if it can be good as last passage before brown

DISCO RUOTA in COTONE CUCITO TRAPUNTATO per LUCIDATURA di ACCIAIO INOX OTTONE

PASTA ABRASIVA : LUCIDATURA A SPECCHIO METALLI ACCIAIO INOX OTTONE | eBay

Belt grinder advices-dscn0107_1600x1200.jpg Belt grinder advices-dscn0108_1600x1200.jpg Belt grinder advices-dscn0109_1600x1200.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Aug 26, 2017)

Thread Information