Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Belt sander

Thanks

Nick Jonkman's Tools

Belt sander

Many years ago I built me a real belt sander. The bed is 4 ft. long and 8 in. wide. The motor is 1 1/2 HP 120 Volt. Actually this was the proto type of about a half dozen I built for others. As you can see you don't have to dis-assemble any thing to replace the belt. The controls are all on the back side. The yoke supporting the movable drum slides on a shaft and a bell crank pulls it in and out via a screw and knob. Also the tracking is controlled by a single screw and knob. Back in the mid 80s I built a spoon rack with a pendulum chime clock in the center of it for my wife who passed away in 86. I swore I would not build anything like that again unless I had a decent belt sander. With this sander I can true up the edge of a board, door, panel or anything else I need sanded square or true or flat. The fence is square to the belt and the vertical cleat is also square to the belt so I can sand the end of pieces by supporting them vertically. I have used up about a 1/2 dozen belts over the years. Most of them finally let go on the joint. By the way I also have graphite cloth cemented to the platen to reduce friction on the belt. I don't know what I would have done without it all the years as I am using constantly.
    You may notice that I used only 3 legs which was OK but found the the stand seemed to have jellyness to it. It would jiggle when you hit the end on the side so I added braces until that was eliminated. Subsequent versions got 2 legs spaced about 6" apart on the end and only 2 braces which solved that problem. They also received a 12 in. disc on the back side with a tilting table. Machine sits on 3 casters so it can be rolled around out of the way.
    By setting the fence at an angle I can feed long boards across it and it will sort of self feed by controlling the speed it pulls on the board.
    Nick
    Belt sander-p1050991.jpg Belt sander-p1050992.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nick Jonkman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 25, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Feb 26, 2018), nashty1 (Feb 26, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 26, 2018), rlm98253 (Feb 24, 2018), rossbotics (Feb 24, 2018), Seedtick (Feb 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Outstanding design and build.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Very nice looking sander.

Cheers, JR

Thanks
    Hi, could you send us some more photos. I made one, but it is not as functional as I expected. Thanks Hentie

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    More for belt sander builders: Homemade Belt Sander

Thanks

Nick Jonkman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hentiev View Post
    Hi, could you send us some more photos. I made one, but it is not as functional as I expected. Thanks Hentie
    Here are a few more detail photos as well as a sketch of how it works. It is really fairly simple. Also a picture of the swivels and bell crank template. They are use as a pair with the swivels between them. I should have some of those pieces left unless I threw them in the scrap pile. The bed frame is 1 1/2" angle 1/8" thick The bed is a bent up channel of 16 gauge steel. The tension I did not sketch in as it is fairly obvious. The drums were made from 4" well casing and have a slight crown.
    I also have several bed channels and shields left as well., Nick
    Belt sander-p1060012.jpg Belt sander-p1060014.jpg Belt sander-p1060006.jpg Belt sander-p1060008.jpgBelt sander-p1060018.jpg Belt sander-p1060001.jpg Belt sander-img039.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Jonkman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 27, 2018), nashty1 (Jun 17, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 27, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Nick Jonkman! We've added your Belt Sander to our Sanding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Nick Jonkman's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information