Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bending hard copper tubing

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Bending hard copper tubing

As anyone who has ever tried to bend hard copper knows, it will do 2 things very well kink sharply and break.
    An easy way to solve this little issue is to first soften the copper by heating it to red hot then quenching it in water. Funny thing about copper is quenching has the opposite effect as quenching steel.
    then what I did was to make a spiral cut in a piece of pvc tubing that just fit inside of the copper, and slid a pvc conduit forming spring into the plastic pipe and both of those in the copper tube then simply rolled it in a regular EMT/ rigged conduit bender.
    Bending hard copper tubing-cimg1482c.jpg Bending hard copper tubing-after-softening.jpg Bending hard copper tubing-cimg1484c.jpg Bending hard copper tubing-cimg1485c.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 25, 2016), kbalch (Mar 28, 2016)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    As anyone who has ever tried to bend hard copper knows, it will do 2 things very well kink sharply and break.
    An easy way to solve this little issue is to first soften the copper by heating it to red hot then quenching it in water. Funny thing about copper is quenching has the opposite effect as quenching steel.
    then what I did was to make a spiral cut in a piece of pvc tubing that just fit inside of the copper, and slid a pvc conduit forming spring into the plastic pipe and both of those in the copper tube then simply rolled it in a regular EMT/ rigged conduit bender.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1482c.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after softening.JPG 
Views:	396 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	9498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1484c.jpg 
Views:	546 
ID:	9499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1485c.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	9500
    Excellent idea. I got to try.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Great idea, tried several different ways, never as successful as this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1482c.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after softening.JPG 
Views:	396 
ID:	9498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1484c.jpg 
Views:	546 
ID:	9499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1485c.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	9500
    I have many times saved a bent key by your method. Another time I bent a section of 1/8 th copper pipe the same way. I don't think many people know of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by gpete View Post
    I have many times saved a bent key by your method. Another time I bent a section of 1/8 th copper pipe the same way. I don't think many people know of this.
    Just like working with aluminum sheets when making gas tanks for motorcycles I always smoked the sheet a little with my torch by waving the flame without using any oxygen. by warming the sheet to about 250 to 350°f it softened the metal enough to hammer out the shapes on a leather bean bag with a mallet I always welded with the act torch as well with a long dull feather to the flame or what would be termed as a slightly carbonizing flame I didn't have a tig and mig welding left the joints too brittle to suit me.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Acetylene welding is and always has been a viable and sometimes the only way to do some jobs. The vo-tec schools now teach students that it is a brazing method and skip over weldong with it. Tin man technologies in (Washington or Oregon) teaches this as a main stream art. I still have more control with an acet torch than anything else.GP

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information