Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A big aluminum spark plug!

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

A big aluminum spark plug!

For the man who has everything, a big aluminum spark plug! Got the idea and had to have one.

I opted to use the old style R45 AC plug that used the 13/16 socket as the model. It has more of a fat stubby look unlike the thin 5/8 variety. Using a digital caliper, I made countless measurements of the real plugs width and spacing's and multiplied each of those by 53%. The reason I went with 53% is so the hex area would finish up at 1-1/4 and that was the magic number. This was machined from a piece of 1-1/2 round stock a little over 4 inches long.

The side electrode was made separately and installed at the end into a #50 hole using JB weld for aluminum. Everything else was done on a mill and lathe.

It helps to have a sketch sheet with the measurements laid out as there are so many ways to screw up! Luckily I had no troubles but there is a lot of math so it's best to prepare that ahead of time. (I would occasionally double check my measurements as I made them too)

The first pic shows the finished plug and below that I'll put in some shots of how it progressed.

A big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7381.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7342.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7348.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7354.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7359.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7366.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7367.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7371.jpgA big aluminum spark plug!-dscn7377.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 31, 2017)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Great project Bobs409. It definitely covers a lot of operations and tool options. Reproducing it to scale can be challenging too with the excellent details of the ceramic neck. Well Done and a beautiful reproduction, Congratulations! Curious about the tool you used to hollow out the electrode area...custom ground?

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 31, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Thanks! I actually made a separate piece for that area and it's pressed in. I only tell those that ask. lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 1, 2017)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    very nice model!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information