Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bird strike through windshield of Cessna 210

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Once while riding one of the smaller Air bus jets going from Frankfurt to Nuremberg we encountered a bird strike shortly after take off then about 18 minutes into the flight the engine began to vibrate horribly. The pilot announced that we were returning to Frankfurt by the time we made the 180 turn then returned and had to fly past the airport and do another 180 we were in the air for nearly 40 minutes on 1 engine. This didn't make a bit of sense to me, because had we continued on to our original destination the flight would have only been 44 minutes total or in other words we would have had to fly for 26 minutes on 1 engine and no pair of 180° turns
    I asked one of the airlines people after we landed why we turned back and the only answer she could give me was it was too dangerous to make the flight with only 1 engine to our destination. I just said OH I see it would have been too dangerous to fly for 26 minutes on 1 engine and arrive at our intended destination allowing passengers to make their connecting flights if they had one or arrive home at or near the time they had expected or in my case be on time for a meeting but it was not too dangerous to turn around mid flight then have to over fly and turn around again due to air traffic disrupting everyone's schedule Thanks a lot please refund my ticket I'll take the ICEII and will get to Nuremberg before your next flight to there takes off

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    USAF C-17 Globemaster III eats a bird on takeoff last week at the Avalon Airport in Melbourne.

At 0:08, and then slowly at 0:38:

I bet the bird wondered, "What the Hell Happened", just for a split second.
    At least it was a very quick death. Sucked in, chopped up and de-feathered and gutted, then spat out a little over-cooked.

2000 Tool Plans
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks

kiwiles's Tools
    was the goose ok

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiles View Post
    was the goose ok
    yeah I doubt if there were any complaints from the pigeons and gulls having a feast as the charred bits fell to the ground.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Once while riding one of the smaller Air bus jets going from Frankfurt to Nuremberg we encountered a bird strike shortly after take off then about 18 minutes into the flight the engine began to vibrate horribly. The pilot announced that we were returning to Frankfurt by the time we made the 180 turn then returned and had to fly past the airport and do another 180 we were in the air for nearly 40 minutes on 1 engine. This didn't make a bit of sense to me, because had we continued on to our original destination the flight would have only been 44 minutes total or in other words we would have had to fly for 26 minutes on 1 engine and no pair of 180° turns
    I asked one of the airlines people after we landed why we turned back and the only answer she could give me was it was too dangerous to make the flight with only 1 engine to our destination. I just said OH I see it would have been too dangerous to fly for 26 minutes on 1 engine and arrive at our intended destination allowing passengers to make their connecting flights if they had one or arrive home at or near the time they had expected or in my case be on time for a meeting but it was not too dangerous to turn around mid flight then have to over fly and turn around again due to air traffic disrupting everyone's schedule Thanks a lot please refund my ticket I'll take the ICEII and will get to Nuremberg before your next flight to there takes off
    a modern cliche "go figure".

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I asked one of the airlines people after we landed why we turned back and the only answer she could give me was it was too dangerous to make the flight with only 1 engine to our destination.
    The reason probably is that Frankfurt has a maintenance facility, for engine repair for the aircarrier you were flying with. Otherwise, they have to rent the facilities at Nuremberg. And this means flying in engine spares, a crew, and specialty tools to make the engine swap. It's a very big logistics problem.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    The reason probably is that Frankfurt has a maintenance facility, for engine repair for the aircarrier you were flying with. Otherwise, they have to rent the facilities at Nuremberg. And this means flying in engine spares, a crew, and specialty tools to make the engine swap. It's a very big logistics problem.
    That was what AI figured as well additionally Frankfurt main is an international facility with a huge facility for maintenance and repairs where as the Fuerth/ Nuremberg airport is only a regional but however that is where the small carrier was based or at least they called it their home of operations I imagine any major work would have had to be done in Frankfurt or Hamburg

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That probably would account for the black smudge. Pucker factor.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information