Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench

I recently saw an ad for a tap wrench bubble level and thought these would be very useful and easy to make for the shop. The bubble levels are used to ensure the tap is starting square to the part and staying in alignment to the pilot hole during taping. The alignment process assumes the part is already level.

I used T6-6061 aluminum 0.750” and 1.0” diameter rods to make the bubble level cases. The 0.545” diameter by 0.33” thick bubble levels are available through Amazon.com (14mm Circular Bubble Spirit Levels) and eBay. I checked the bubble levels on my level surface plate and these were indeed level and the thickness of the levels are exactly the same all the way around. This is important because the levels fit against the machined inside bottoms of their cases and parallel to the case bottoms. I made two bubble level cases with slip fits over the ends of a small (0 to #8 tap) and a larger (#4 to ¼”) T-handle tap wrench. In addition, I made one of the bubble level cases with a rare earth magnet on the back. This allows the level to be used in many applications in the shop.

I included the plans, photos of the tap wrench bubble levels, and an example of the level guiding a tap wrench. These plans are kept in a spiral bound grid paper notebook that I use for sketching tool ideas.

Close-up view of tap wrench bubble levels with and without magnets
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-tap-wrench-bubble-level-cases-without-magnetic-backing.jpg

T-handle tap wrench without bubble level
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-tap-wrench-without-bubble-level.jpg

T-handle tap wrench with bubble level
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-tap-wrench-bubble-level-attachment.jpg

Level case ready to install bubble level and secure with Loctite 680
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-ready-install-bubble-level-loctite-680.jpg

Large and small cases for T-handle tap wrench bubble levels
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-large-small-tap-wrench-bubble-level-cases.jpg

Machining and boring the T6-6061 aluminum cases to 0.547” dia. to exactly fit bubble levels
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-machining-bubble-level-cases-t6-6061-aluminum.jpg

Plans to make the T-handle tap wrench bubble level attachment
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-plans-make-tap-wrench-bubble-levels.jpg

As you can see from the photos, these are very useful and easy to make. I am sure the one with the magnetic backing will be useful in other leveling applications around the shop.

Thanks for looking, Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; May 8, 2018 at 10:10 AM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Aug 6, 2020), Cascao (Nov 26, 2017), Christophe Mineau (Jan 29, 2016), DIYer (Jan 29, 2016), EnginePaul (Aug 6, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Apr 18, 2018), high-side (Aug 8, 2020), Home-PC (Aug 6, 2020), j.bickley (Nov 21, 2017), JD62 (Apr 19, 2018), Jon (Jan 28, 2016), kbalch (Jan 29, 2016), NortonDommi (Nov 21, 2017), Okapi (Apr 19, 2018), Philip Davies (Feb 1, 2016), PJs (Apr 18, 2018), rlm98253 (Nov 20, 2017), Sleykin (Jun 28, 2018), tonyfoale (Nov 22, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Nov 20, 2017), trigger (Aug 5, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Paul! We've added your Tap Handle Bubble Level to our Tapping and Threading category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Very clever idea, Paul. May I add that, if possible, sticking/gluing one to the back or top of one's cordless drill will help in drilling perpendicular holes.

Most tap breakage arises from unwanted side forces on the tap during tapping so I do most of my tapping in the mill right after drilling and using a tap holder with a guide pin held in the chuck. Many modelmakers use a so-called tapping machine that mimics what I do on the mill.

Oldtimers had two methods for keeping the tool vertical. One was a tapping guide block. They're still made and sold...

Robot Check

but it's easy to make one's own. They are handy if you have to tap into a vertical or inclined surface where a level won't work.

The other method was to set a mirror vertically behind the tool. By aligning the tool with its image in the mirror one can keep it vertical in one axis. I suppose it would take two mirrors to guarantee true verticality.

Regardless, your approach is superior to both of these methods. The tapping block can get in the way of part features and the mirror(s) trick is just too fussy. Your method is compact and provides a vertical reference in all directions.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jan 29, 2016), NortonDommi (Nov 21, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 29, 2016), rlm98253 (Oct 22, 2018), Sleykin (Jun 28, 2018)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv, these are all great suggestions depending on the situation. I have made several taping blocks for taps #10 and smaller but my favorite I use most of the time, as you suggested, is the V-TapGuide. I have making a tapping machine on my "to do" list. I needed the bubble levels for taping a part on my pool equipment in a very cramped location (always the case for pool equipment) but did the tapping free hand without blocks or bubble levels but can use the levels next time. Thanks, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Bubble levels! Ingenious, and convertible. It seems like I'm hand tapping in place frequently now; see levels and a block are going to the top of my list. Once weldments are assembled, they sure aren't going in any machine I can visualize. Breaking taps in machine frames is NOT how you win popularity contests.
    Probably need a drill-bushing plate along with them...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 21, 2017), Paul Jones (Nov 22, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Mr. Jones, very slick! Thanks.
    ---Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to j.bickley For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 22, 2017)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Toolmaker51, I had a chuckle at "Breaking taps in machine frames is NOT how you win popularity contests." At one job I used to arrive and one of the day shift blokes would skive off to the showers. I used to hope the burning sensation in his ears kept him awake at night as at least once a week my day was buggered fixing his stuff-ups, stripped threads and broken bolts were one thing but taps were a real pain, always in the worst most inaccessible place plus I had to get my personal stuff out to clean up afterwards. Same bloke was the one who liked to "do a bolt up tight then give it a little tweak until I feel it give".

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 22, 2017), PJs (Apr 18, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 22, 2017)

Thanks
    All good tips. I also like to place a DVD over the hole I am drilling or tapping.
    It improves the sighting a lot.

Jim

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 19, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 19, 2018)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Jim,

That is a great tip about using the mirror-like reflecting surface of a DVD for a 360 degree view of the perpendicularity when tapping and drilling. We should add this tip to the Tool Tip section of HMT.

Thank you for the advice,
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanks @Paul Jones!
    Great tip! Just added a bullseye to my drill. (These pix are a re-staging since I'm using the bubble so much. I thought I'd share.)

First pic shows "milling" a "flat". Chucked a 3/8" (headless) bolt into drill chuck and 3-jaw mounted to the tailstock of my shopsmith 10ER. Used a re-purposed 3/4" spade bit as the end mill.
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-milling.jpg

REALLY should have shortened the shank! As there was a little chatter there were a few candidates for the desired flat. :-) I reused the setup to find the optimal one.

I set the 3-jaw on my bench with another bullseye on the face and matched the one on the drill to it as I epoxied.
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-bubble-set.jpg
    Bubble Level Attachment For T-handle Tap Wrench-bubble-check.jpg

Doug
    Last edited by saintrain; Jun 26, 2018 at 09:06 PM.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saintrain For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Aug 6, 2020), Jon (Jun 27, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 27, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 28, 2018), PJs (Jun 30, 2018), rlm98253 (Jun 28, 2018), Sleykin (Jun 28, 2018)

Thread Information