Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
To me it looks like it should be boxed in to add rigidity and an adjustable truss brace underneath it with a series of jack screws forcing up to the bottom of the beam over time these may have to be adjusted to maintain flatness through the 6 ft length.
Oh I like the idea of screw jacks! I do plan on adding more structure to both the top and the bottom - this is really just the basic frame (which is why I only did a small bend!). I can definitely incorporate screws into the base - great idea!

Not saying it will need this but not a bad practice to have them and never need them than not to have them and have a 6 ft bend go rainbow on you.
Totally agree!

I would box the traveling beam as well for much the came reasons the web offers very little resistance to twisting.
Yes, my engineer friend suggested (before I even started) that I add vertical “webs” into each of the horizontal beams to help prevent them twisting - I had planned on doing this, and then capping at least the upper and lower to also tie into the added structure below the lower and above the upper. I see no reason not to include this practice in the traveler beam as well - stronger is better!

Also by adding another feature called cross equalization stabilizers to the ends of the traveling beam will prevent the beam from ever becoming canted to one side or the other.
I like the sound of this... my car hoist has cables that do this - I suspect I could copy the routing from the way it’s done.

These are simple devices to install usually either roller-less roller chain or leaf chain or can be wire ropes 1 would be mounted to the top of one of the support frame members then pass under a roller mounted on the traveling beam then over a roller on the opposite side then down to the bottom of the frame on that side then the same thing is done in reverse starting at the top of the structure of the opposite side then bringing the chain / cable across and ending up at the bottom
this way if one end of the beam tries to go up the other end must go up at the same amount. Your guides then only have to keep the beam vertical and receive no stresses from any other plane of movement.
Will have to look into some pulleys - but again - I like it!

Just a suggestion not a criticism.
Absolutely, all great suggestions and taken as such! - thanks!