Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building a large shop fan

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Vernon. I didn't take blade speed into account when I asked the question. Good to learn something.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Finally! I have 3 such fans, one needs a motor but mechanically all are fine. Wanted to build these enclosures a long time. Until now, had puzzled on what to use for screening. Never thought [unaware] of agricultural material, other fencing varieties are flexible. Saved me some RPM testing too, will copy 172.5 recommendation.
    Do your large fans 'walk' out of position? 3 wheels [1 crazy, 2 straight] is correct, too many uneven surfaces, 4 usually unstable. Kick-out casters would work too, for parking.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 7, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 7, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have a 48 " er with a 10" pulley but no motor that I have been hoarding for a few years. Without an actual shop I haven't needed it It is just one of those many things I own that I see a potential use for someday so wont get rid of it.
    when I finally do get around to pressing it into service I will either mount it high up in an end wall to serve as an exhaust fan of do Like the OP did to make a floor model out of it
    I had a floor model once that originally had the 1/2" hardware screen front and back for the safety screen but there seemed to be a significant amount of restriction to the air flow plus the dust build up on the back meant frequent cleaning was required. One day I replaced the rear screen with 1' Poultry wire The motor ran cooler less frequent cleanings( almost never) plus a slight increase in flow This encouraged me to replace the front screen as well. Unimaginable hjow much better the circulation od air was plus a significant reduction in noise it even got rid of the constant hum of the motor
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I took a closer look at my 48" fan today I thought it had a 10" pulley but after measuring it it is a 12" cast iron A section size the Curvature of the blades indicate it was an exhaust fan This would not be a problem as I could just use the motor side as the output but that would mean I wouldn't be able to add moisture saturation media for evaporative cooling without subjecting the motor to a wet environment, should I desire to do so. However I could probably turn the blade around to allow for air flow through evaporation media to keep the motor in the dry.
    This would be something for others to think about should they decide to construct a shop fan like the OP has done

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 11, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 10, 2017)

Thread Information