Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Burglar Bars - Swing Open Type

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

Burglar Bars - Swing Open Type

Burglar Bars - Swing open style to allow easy access to windows for cleaning and maintenance. 10 contractors no-bid this, so I made a sample to show how simple it could be done.

The outer frame is 1 inch flat bar stock. The inner frame is 3/4 inch. It's got 2 barrel hinges. Aluminum mosquito frame. That's about it. Lots of careful measuring and set up before stick welding it.

I don't have the materials or artistic talent to do the scrolls or design. I'm hoping when they see how easy this is, the burglar bar contractors will pick up job!

MATERIALS
    - Outer frame 1" flat stock
    - Inner (swinging frame) 3/4 square tube
    - 2 barrel hinges
    - Aluminum mosquito net framing

WARNING: Welding can be dangerous. If you don't know, learn first or don't do it.

Re-edit for annotations

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 7, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Some of the reasons why you have not had much luck in hiring a contractor for your security bars is #1 most security bar contractors do not like having to work inside of a customer's dwelling Their insurance if they have any will not cover them without a special rider policy which few are willing to pay the extra premiums due to the rarity of use.
    #2 would be the custom fit issue. Each bar set would have to be made specifically for a particular window even if every window in the house were the same size when the house was built. Over the course of time many factors can cause changes in the casements to be enough that requires the custom fitting.
    #3 fire codes in many areas either 'a' prohibit the installation of security bars on bedroom windows which the FD cannot gain easy access through or 'b' they must have panic release mechanisms prominently depicted so that even a small child would have no trouble activating them allowing the security bars to swing outward.
    #4 many homeowner's policies will be voided if any device obstructs emergency egress of a window unless it opens out.
    It has been over 35 years since I owned a company that specialized in the manufacture of security bars. My installers in certain cities had to be licensed by the State and certified by both the FD and the PD's of which ever city they were doing their installs. At the time the security bars we manufactured had to meet the city codes there were differing codes for a particular class or level of security the bars were intended for. Even purely decorative bars which were a faux security had to have the capability of being either removed opened or otherwise in no way interfered with the safety of persons needing to use the windows to exit in case of an emergency.
    Like I said these sere standards of 35 years ago and I doubt if they have been relaxed.
    Now to your problem of a latch or lock you can do a search for accepted emergency release mechanisms for security bars which should come up with many options readily available on the market Any of the ornamental iron and decorative forgings companies should have a section selling them.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    Thank you. Very useful to know.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information