Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Butter dispensing machine and butter application strategies - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Butter dispensing machine and butter application strategies - GIF

Butter dispensing machine. Not sure what to think about this. Like all decent people, I don't like hard butter - it's destructive and annoying. I also don't like it when buffet food gets picked over by hundreds of people. And I guess there is probably a legitimate public health concern there. But, wow, this is what we've come to as a civilization?

Admittedly, I've been down this buttery road before. In fact I even backed the Kickstarter for a ButterUp butter grating knife (it actually works pretty well, but only if the butter is hard). Also, you can just apply hard butter by grating it like cheese. Butter gratings also melt more readily than the ButterUp's cylinder-like butter pieces, probably because a grated piece has a higher surface area to volume ratio than a cylindrical piece.

Next step is to try a butter keeper; one of these guys below. Anyone try these? You fill the bottom of the outer cup with water, and then you keep it on the countertop. I guess the water seals the butter somehow? I wonder how often we'll have to change the water, or if this will this result in (gross!) "wet butter"?

More: https://www.butterspender.de/en/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 30, 2018), PJs (Dec 26, 2018), rlm98253 (Dec 24, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I used to see bowls of butter slices kept fresh and hard in ice water at buffets.
    the butter grating knife seems like a great idea My wife prefers margarine over real butter but I like the home churned butter I trade a neighbor eggs for. I don't know but there is something about a food product that is only 1 molecule away from being plastic that makes the edible quality questionable to me.
    The butter dispenser would most likely be found in many motels that have the complimentary breakfasts right beside the automatic Belgian Waffle maker

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Don't you guys have "Spreadable Butter", wouldn't have anything else in my house. Spreadable straight from the fridge.
    Butter dispensing machine and butter application strategies - GIF-img_0489.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Don't you guys have "Spreadable Butter", wouldn't have anything else in my house. Spreadable straight from the fridge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	27255
    OR just allow natural butter to soften over night and blend in an equal amount of light canola oil or if you prefer use light olive oil. Though some may not find the olive oil as palatable add a little sea salt if you like salted butter then you have your very own spreadable butter right out of the fridge.
    As a kid we had a Guernsey milk cow who's cream was so heavy it yielded a nice dark yellow butter No yellow #5 food coloring required. I've Been making butter like this for years

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    I like the butter grater idea too. We, I mean somebody got duped a while back for a "Special Butter Knife" that transmitted hand heat to the blade....actually works but have to hold it for a minute or two...too long for me but it does work. Paring knife works for me.

The machine needs a dosage level...I put that much on a cracker , twice that for one side of a grandma biscuit. Generally don't like my butter too soft either, and if I Never eat "I can't believe it's Butter" ever again it will be too soon for me...my mom was hooked on that stuff.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    I like the butter grater idea too. We, I mean somebody got duped a while back for a "Special Butter Knife" that transmitted hand heat to the blade....actually works but have to hold it for a minute or two...too long for me but it does work. Paring knife works for me.

The machine needs a dosage level...I put that much on a cracker , twice that for one side of a grandma biscuit. Generally don't like my butter too soft either, and if I Never eat "I can't believe it's Butter" ever again it will be too soon for me...my mom was hooked on that stuff.
    Yeah. I'm not really into this machine & that serve would be four times my liking whereas my mate, like you, puts it on rather thick like his vegemite. yuck for me.

My wife will only have spreadable butter where I think it will be like that sliced cheese, released years ago, targeted at mums for kids sandwiches. Just how much manipulation goes into such products & how much of the molicules & the product remain intact/natural?

For 4 decades I ate the disgusting alternative which in 1970 was not popular but the national skin institute placed me on it for healthier skin: they also cooked me with ultraviolet light so much so, I would return from my lunch break lokking the colour of a cooked lobster or mudcrab. Healthier skin?

Every now & then my doc says "We will have to monitor that section/spot of your face. Looks cancerous" "yeap, I'll try Radium Weed first" and no surgery to my face yet, touch wood er radium weed. Most/all Euphorbia plants have very poisonous sap but this is not ingested but gently dabbed on the spot in question so "don't try this at home".

For myself, I have to keep good ol' one pound butter slab in fridge & slice off a bit with a blunt knife & wait a bit, or use a hot knife for immediate use. On toast I use extra virgin olive oil.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

On another note, results with the butter keeper have been positive thus far.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Jan 9, 2019), PJs (Jan 10, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 9, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    that's more like it

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    too much butter for this lad but a great tool.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    That one is a Yahtzee for me too...Add anything or not...and the bread could also be used to butter the corn on the cob! An Old tradition in our family at least 5 generations.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information