Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can Opener 2.0

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Not to what NYPD and FDNY told you but I believe their analogy may have been slightly off or more accurately incomplete. While the explosive source was in all probability a hairspray can or possibly multiples there of. It was unlikely the can was empty or near empty also the incinerator door was probably improperly latched or the locking mechanism was faulty, other wise the blast force should have been contained. That being said it is true older elevator doors were quite easily dislodged especially when the track and rollers became worn from years of use and many apt buildings did not have separate freight elevators to serve utility basements which would have had more robust doors
    the propellant in hair spray cans used to contain propane quite volatile, a full can depending on size could equal a 1/4 stick of dynamite in explosive force.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    In the mid 60's the whole family, except me, were awakened by some bomb in our house in sleepy Brisbane. Upon their carefull investigating and the damagewas in the kitchen: the family discovered glass all over the place & cupboards doors blowen off hinges. Long before the european 32mm system became "the normal" here. Apparently one or more of my home made ginger beer bottles exploded and set all the others (many dozens) off at the same time. three bottles did not explode & they were promptly covered & removed to our green house.The burgeoning teen was not popular.:-(. glad terrorists haven't discovered ginger beer!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    Hi, I agree that there were more then likely multiple cans that caused the blast but I neglected to add that the door to the incinerator room was blown from the hinges and beyond repair. Luckly it happened late at night and no one was hurt because the basement car call is on a timer and will not go to the basement until 7 am. Thanks for reply, Charlie.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    I especially like the severe-duty construction.

You could make the punch travel vertically and use a smaller hole by trapping the punch in a guide tube. Otherwise it could be ejected by pressure, which would be fun to watch, but not from above.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Texf1 (Jul 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I am with mklotz, I just use my Grandpas, good ole Remington Model 41, single shot, bolt action, .22

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I currently have 2 sulo bins full & stamping on a few at a time works for me. Besides the Jack Russell gets excited at the stomping and looks for more mice & snakes.Ha , Ha. We both get excercise.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Good idea! I save the contents of spray penetrant and other lubricants, decanting into proper oil cans. (I also save the ball bearing)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 22, 2018), ranald (Jul 22, 2018), Texf1 (Nov 10, 2018), tonyfoale (Mar 12, 2024), Toolmaker51 (Jul 23, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    No one else is likely to touch your decanted "stuff" so it is a win/win.
    I knew a girl who worked for a nurseryman who would decant unused portions of class 6 & class 7 poisons into coke bottles, replace a cap and store in the same fridge that staff kept their lunches & drinks. This was done until, one staff member died slowly over a 3 week period. He wasn't even gaoled(jailed) as it was an accident. When she told me, he refused to buy staff appropriate overalls & other PPE; I told her to leave immediately & complain to authorities. She needed the job-"not that much to risk your life every day" I exclaimed: & it was the lowest paid trade of all to boot.
    I'm going to make some shavings. Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    WARNING: Thread hack! Wait for it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Before recycling the cans, I also remove the old spray paint nozzle, soak and clean it in a jar with paint thinner I keep for this purpose, dry it off, and then save the nozzle as a potential replacement for the spray paint cans with clogged nozzles. Most of the common spray paint nozzles are interchangeable.
    and Philip Davies saves the contents of spray penetrant and other lubricants, decanting into proper oil cans. [he]"(I also save the ball bearing)"

Can't find the post of who saves the vinyl tube. My scriber is sheathed in one, completely covers the point.

Today I fixed a 3/8"Ø Starrett double edge finder. Pointed tip lodged in endmill holder by chips. Spring stretched beyond useful or rescue.
    Digging around bin of used bearings and seals it hit me. There are be-au-ti-ful small extension springs [inner side] delivering tension to the seal lip.
    A bit of magic ala wire-forming pliers made the 90° eyes. Determined length by comparison to a proper edgefinder's tension, not too tricky.
    And it works fine!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 24, 2018 at 04:12 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Texf1 (Nov 10, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I save the nozzle, spray tube, pickup tube, marble, and remaining content (usually, in airline glass mini liquor bottles). Spray tubes/pickup tubes make good capillary applicators.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volodar For This Useful Post:

Texf1 (Nov 10, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 24, 2018)

Thread Information