Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Can Opener 2.0

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    For cans which are a bit "sticky" in the valve, I've grabbed another rattle can of clear coat, removed the nozzle from each and pressed the two tube ends together. The clearcoat can shoots a small amount of wet paint/ solvent/ propellant into the stuck can valve assembly and seems to free things up fairly well - the small amount of clear coat doesn't seem to affect the colour of the other can. - the stuck can is on the bottom, the clearcoat can is inverted - so it's more propellant than paint being transferred.

for venting empty cans - I use the spike end of my welding chipping hammer - then slice open the can with tinsnips, retrieve the marble and dip tube and recycle the rest. The chipping hammer allows me to point the vent away from the body, and "hook the shot" with the hammer backwards so any vent starts away from me.

dip tubes are handy for making small cable guides, bushings, and other uses. marbles if cleaned on a shop rag within 20 seconds of the can venting are perfectly clean,and are used for bribing children, or thrown in a jar in the shed for floral arranging.

Des

Quote Originally Posted by Texf1 View Post
    I have never seen a can explode, but I have had some where the tip will not spray no matter what I do. I tried to change tips and that didn't work either. When I go to puncture the can, there is a lot of pressure in it that has made a small hole about 3 times its size. I have heard stories, but don't know how true or not, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 24, 2018), Texf1 (Nov 10, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Shot with a .22short (though now impossible to find). I've achieved some marvelous decreasing arc spirals of paint, shave cream. It's a lot of fun

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

Texf1 (Nov 10, 2018)

Thanks

Texf1's Tools
    I would rather shoot it, but I live in the city and the gun ranges don't have a place for these kind of targets.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    Shot with a .22short (though now impossible to find). I've achieved some marvelous decreasing arc spirals of paint, shave cream. It's a lot of fun
    the standard 22 shorts are hard to find but there are still the CBcaps available shorter than a short completely subsonic
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ounds?a=476500
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I use a hack saw and clamp the head section in a vise and cut a grove in the can to release the gas. I then cut off the top and salvage the marble inside to use as cargo on my train set.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Hope that load is properly secured!

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    I have a more practical way of doing it myself. I use a .177 caliber pellet rifle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mlochala For This Useful Post:

neilbourjaily (Mar 1, 2021)

Thanks

carl blum's Tools
    Hi: That is a very nice job, and should be safe.
    One suggestion would be to turn the box tubing on its edge, so the can would rest in a "V-Block" and not roll away from the puncher tool.
    That said if a cylinder is to fail it is usually the long seam on the side, and punching the side might cause this. Your box tubing protects you then.
    If I want more paint out of a spray can, I punch a hole in the edge of the top. Then I can use the Awl as a needle valve to let the pressure out. When the pressure is low, and this take a while since the propellant is in the paint, I punch a second hole. With two holes you can pour the paint out. Use it quickly, it is only good for an hour or so. I tried to save some in a jar and the paint volume was half the next day.
    Stay safe! Carl.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information