Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system

Thanks

chy_farm's Tools

Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system

As you gents may know there are several types of carburetors, diaphragm type, gravity fed type, and injection type(perhaps this may not be classified to the carburetors though). I used to have a lot of discussion at a forum where we tinker small engines of saws, on a theme that how a diaphragm acts in operation. Does it move constantly along with the movement of piston that goes up and down in every cycle of the shaft sits in the middle of mechanism ?, or it keeps moving until it comes to a certain spinning speed and stays/sits still in higher speed than this?

So I made this system to see how it acts in operation from lower spinning speed when it idles to some higher speed like 7000rpm.

The total system looks like this;
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detecting-system_m.jpg
    at the left you see a saw sitting with some attachments on the top cover, which is a displacement detector unit also shown below.

Within the small blue plastic cylinder there are a couple of coils,
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-new_holder.jpg

and this coil emits magnetic force from the black part outward.
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detector_01.jpg

Showing a illustration to the way detecting the movement.
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detector_concept_01.jpg

(to be continued...)

Chy

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chy_farm For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Apr 10, 2018), franklynb (Aug 4, 2018), Jon (Apr 7, 2018), olderdan (Apr 7, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 9, 2018), PJs (Apr 10, 2018), rlm98253 (Apr 7, 2018), Ropetangler (Apr 7, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 7, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Apr 8, 2018)

Thanks

chy_farm's Tools
    It's always fun to know some hidden truth coming out unveiled, a diaphragm has been keeping moving even in high spinning!!!

For each graph the upper column shows the timing signal from the motor, every high peeks in the blue curve means voltage peeks given by the pulser coil I have given to the main coil unit.
    The orange curve in the lower column shows the movement of a diaphragm.

Illustration_03_1991rpm
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-illustration_03_1991rpm.jpg

Illustration_04_4056rpm
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-illustration_04_4056hz.jpg

Illustration_05_7472rpm
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-illustration_05_7472hz.jpg

Chy

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by chy_farm; Apr 7, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chy_farm For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 9, 2018), PJs (Apr 10, 2018)

Thanks

chy_farm's Tools
    Showing each part below,

this detector set on the motor,
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detecting-system_00_m.jpg

signal amplifier upper in the middle,
    voltage divider lower left, which is used to optimize the voltage from the pulser coil. (to be frank, I reeled the wire a little too much for this pulser coil, better less than 10 times perhaps.)
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detecting-system_01_m.jpg

Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-voltage_divider_2.jpg

analog-digital converter lower left, like the one you might have used for electric guitars.
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-detecting-system_02_m.jpg

Winding wire to make a pulser coil.
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-pulser_coil_01.jpg

Setting the pulser coil done.
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-pulser_coil_05.jpg

How it works;
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-pulser_coil_oscill.jpg

Illustration added to show how the detector/sensor works;
    Carburetor Diaphragm Movement Detector and its system-sensor.jpg

Chy
    Last edited by chy_farm; Apr 7, 2018 at 06:06 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chy_farm For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Apr 7, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 9, 2018), PJs (Apr 10, 2018), Ropetangler (Apr 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Chy_farm,

Great job. You must have had a lot of fun doing this. I have also made a multitude of simple test instruments for measuring the things that go on in engines which most people don't bother with. I expect that you have several more ideas to show us.

I have one question. How did you attach the metal plate for the sensor to the diaphram? Was it already a part of the diaphram or did you have to add it? If you had to attach it then it would have affected the results.

Thanks

chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Chy_farm,

Great job. You must have had a lot of fun doing this. I have also made a multitude of simple test instruments for measuring the things that go on in engines which most people don't bother with. I expect that you have several more ideas to show us.

I have one question. How did you attach the metal plate for the sensor to the diaphram? Was it already a part of the diaphram or did you have to add it? If you had to attach it then it would have affected the results.
    Good afternoon Tony, and thank you for your comment. Glad to know you have a lot of knowledge and experience on this thing.
    It's amazing that you have such a deep insight about that point Tony, definitely Yes.

When I put another iron round plate on the same place where the original aluminium plate has been sitting, namely I replace the original plate(they call it a metering plate, if I remember correctly), the result was a tad different to the one I posted above.
    I think you may be looking at one feature these graphs show, that is the wave form shown in orange in each of these lower column.
    They are nearly sine curbs.
    This means that the metering plate was moving in one single movement, or in the basic frequency that the motor-spinning speed permits.
    And this also means that this metering plate has been made to have the center position/hole for the metering pin sit right in the center of the round shape of this metering plate. Perhaps this might sound funny that I mention this thing to be some special thing, but it must be one of the very important points about the carburetor setting thing.
    (to be continued...)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chy_farm For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 10, 2018), swedishchopper (Aug 4, 2018), tonyfoale (Apr 8, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Understood. I have had little experience with diaphram or pumper carbs and I had forgotten about the metering plate and pin.

You might be interested in some carb experiments that I did a while back to get a visualisation of the mixing. Here are a couple of videos;

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

chy_farm (Apr 9, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 9, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    chy_farm,
    That is a very interesting and noteworthy experiment. Was your sensor a LVDT?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 10, 2018)

Thanks

chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by owen moore View Post
    chy_farm,
    That is a very interesting and noteworthy experiment. Was your sensor a LVDT?
    Good morning Owen, thank you for your comment. It seems like it is, but I did no know this word LVDT though, lol.
    Chy

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    chy,
    What I was referring to was a linear variable differential transformer. Sorry for the confusion and the nomenclature. I like what you have done.
    Best Wishes
    Owen Moore

16. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 10, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by owen moore View Post
    chy,
    What I was referring to was a linear variable differential transformer. Sorry for the confusion and the nomenclature. I like what you have done.
    Best Wishes
    Owen Moore
    Owen,

I think that Chy's sensor could more accurately be considered analogous to an old style magnetic telephone ear piece or microphone.

Thread Information