Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Center Punching Aide

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Center Punching Aide

I have 3 examples from today that are of varied design.
    Starting with the brass one, (very Marv Klotz style) I modified the design to include
    a hand stamp holding groove and magnet. The magnet hole was drilled to depth first and
    then the slot was milled to the width of the hand stamps plus about .002".
    Found that the stamps are a bit larger on the end with the stamp letter so I hit them a bit on
    the disc sander with a fine disc. This stamping feature is for use on round stock so you can
    put numbers/letters on the circumference of a round part. Adding the slot for the hand stamp
    was an idea I picked up from Randy Richards (catfish on homemadetools.net). Randy has a lot
    of great how to videos.

The two steel models are smaller to work in tight places. One with knurling and the other one is plain.
    Now that these are finished I think I have enough center punching guides!

Even though I use the DRO on the mill for locating most points it is still useful, for me at least,
    to layout the piece prior to milling. Makes for a double check on your readings. You know, measure twice cut once!

Here are the dimensions:

The largest is the brass one. It is made from 1.25" diameter brass stock and is 1.2" long. Center hole was made for a sliding fit with a .177" piece of drill blank.
    Slot is a slide fit for my stamps which came to .242" wide and about .175" deep so the stamp is proud of the top of the brass.
    Under that slot is a hole made with a 1/4" drill bit for the magnet. The two milling cuts were made to the center of the hole on both the x and y axis.

The knurled steel guide is 3/4" in diameter and 1.500 inches long.

The straight steel guide is 1.250" long and 3.4" in diameter.

Same punch is used in all of them.

Cheers, JR

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Center Punching Aide-img_1438a-copy.jpg   Center Punching Aide-img_1439a-copy.jpg   Center Punching Aide-img_1440a-copy.jpg   Center Punching Aide-img_1441a-copy.jpg   Center Punching Aide-img_1442a-copy.jpg  

Center Punching Aide-img_1443a-copy.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Jan 5, 2018 at 06:27 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Mar 25, 2019), aphilipmarcou (Jan 4, 2018), Bony (Feb 8, 2020), high-side (Feb 7, 2020), Kevic (Jan 5, 2018), mklotz (Jan 5, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 3, 2018), Peter Sanders (Jan 4, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (May 14, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Superb, I like the number stamp addition, very useful. The number stamps could still be very conveniently used on flat stock too, aligning those corners to a set up line

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Sanders For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 5, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Center Punching Aids to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sanders View Post
    Superb, I like the number stamp addition, very useful. The number stamps could still be very conveniently used on flat stock too, aligning those corners to a set up line
    Thank you Peter Sanders; I had previously made one for stamping flat stock out of aluminum so I didn't really think of using the new one on flats.
    However now that you mentioned using it on flat stock I can see an advantage over my aluminum version. The new brass one gives more visibility of the existing characters punched on a flat plate...

Thanks again, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information